FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Marathon Training

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Marathon Training Reply with quote

I haven't run one yet so I will go with what I recommended for the daughter after I refresh my memory.
Double
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the best advice I could offer to marathoners is just become familiar with running. The large majority of marathoners have zero need for anything other than LSD. Go run everyday. Hey, even 20 minutes gets you out the door and besides you will generally run a bit further. When overly tired, take a day off.

A person also needs to work on running up to a minimum of 20 miles in training. Once a week, go as far as you can comfortably, even if this means walking. I train hard at times and I also incorprate walking in some training runs.

If a person enjoys the track or other fast workouts, then keep it to one a week until you can handle 70 miles a week no problem. Then maybe get in two fast workouts.

It's all about the comfort level. Work to run as far as you can comfortably. The easiest way to do this is learn to run more miles. Once you reach your max miles per week then stay there. You will start to see your weekly training pace come down as you increase your aerobic fitness. This is optimal before incorporating specific speed work. Most marathoners never come close to reaching aerobic fitness. You can't get there with speedwork your not ready for.

Just my observations. Some people love running faster. That's okay, just remember the overall goal is running 26 miles 365 yards somewhat comfortably.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: