Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
LaShawn Merritt - 44.93 indoors

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:03 am    Post subject: LaShawn Merritt - 44.93 indoors Reply with quote

This is an awesome reuslt, jsut thought I let you guys here at Run Down know what I think on this athlete. I think he has an amazing talent, and seems to have made a fantastic impression on the T&F world and worl junior scenes, however I just hope that he doesn't end up like a lot of past junior talents; Burnt out. Props to him anyway, this season it seems as if the 400m could be fighting with the 100m for the top Track event! Don't forget the 200m either. 2005 is going to be great, and people (nobody on here, others on other message boards/forums) said Track was 'finished' after 2003.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/4259577.stm

http://www.iaaf.org/news/Kind=2/newsId=28502.html
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add that Veronica Campbell ran a world-leading Women's 60m time of 7.09. AJ also ran a WL for the Men's 60mh with 7.51 and (not sprint-related, but worth mentioning) Lagat just missed out El-G's indoor Mile record running 3:49.89, just falling short of EL-G's 3:48.45WR from '97...seems as if the Tyson Invitational really does bring out the best in the athletes which participate.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference I already see with Merritt (as far as burn out goes) is that he is having collegiate success ... Usually a kid is hot in high school and then just never comes back and reaches that level in college ... This kid seems to have already bucked that trend ... (as has Xavier Carter) ...

I'm expecting big things from this young man at this point ... Barring injury, he is on pace for sub 44 ... And given that he went out in 21.0 I would say he has a very low 20 in his future as well ... And judging from the photo I saw of him he has not bulked up which I like cause it means he hasn't gotten too strong (keeps his fluidity) ...

I'm impressed with Campbell's time cause I haven't seen any real "sprint" marks out there for the women ... All these 7.2's are nice, but not whawt it takes to run sub 11 ...

I'd like to see Allen Johnson in the 7.45 range ... He's gonna need that to compete against Liu ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Merritt keeps this up, he and Wariner could lead a resurgence in the event much quicker than we thought, and probably make it more entertaining than just MJ blowing everyone away.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of the late 80's when the event exploded ... It was sudden and unexpected ... You had a collegian (Reynolds) ... Then another collegian (Everett) ... Then a young freshman right out of high school (Lewis) ... Now we have a collegian (Wariner) ... A young freshman right out of high school (Merritt) ... And need another collegian (Williamson ??) ... Following the same pattern ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now all we need is an Obea Moore sighting!

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually he was sighted last summer ... Only ran 48 ... His day is done ... But this Merritt kid appears to be in position to do what Obea was supposed to ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to imagine being so talented that a 48 at a still young age is considered washed up...

Dan
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some names from the past there in the 80's late 80's then you had Valmon and Pettigrew come up as well then into the early 90's with MJ...

The big HS one I remember back in 87 or so was William Reed.

the 400 was just such a dominant event it was nice to see it come back as well this past summer in Athens.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not quite ready to say the event is back just yet ... When we get to the point where it takes 44.30 or better to win a European meet and sub 44 to win a major, THEN I'll say the event is back ... But we are getting closer ... And this year could be the transition year ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still in the wait and see camp, too. Last year was a good sign, but it was just a year before that where we were bemoaning all the 45's and 46's in big meets.

Dan
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed - perhaps I should have used coming back instead - It was more a feeling that it was exciting to me again... if that makes sense
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, that's all fans can ask for.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was definitely exciting last year ... At least in the big meets like NCAA, Trials and Games ... But I expect it to pick up in other meets as well this year .... The talent level is rising and that usually leads to increased depth and faster times over all ...
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
If Merritt keeps this up, he and Wariner could lead a resurgence in the event much quicker than we thought, and probably make it more entertaining than just MJ blowing everyone away.

Dan

___I agree.
___There is an implicit message send to all 4 x 400 meters men's relays as well: it happens only once ten years that the U.S. 4 x 400 men's relay can be defeated, and usually indoors.
___I would hope that someone from the outside the United States would join the fight for the supremacy beacuse as much as the American fans of track and field tend to be very nationalistic, the non--American fans of track and field are in many cases the same way.

Drago Hornet Kolaczek Rahiim Scooter 69 pecunia indeur indeurr kolakows dekolak etc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: