Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Open Mic Night
election day

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will be the next US President?
Bush
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
Kerry
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 6

Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
I'd really rather keep politics (and religion) out of the mix altogether. Doesn't have any place here, in my opinion, and nothing positive is ever gained by discussing it. Usually just the opposite...

Dan

I can respect that ... Two things that tend to bring out the worst in people .. Sad
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think religion really does *shivvers thinking about some conversations he has been drawn into...*
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten some good training threads off the letsrun board, but their discussions are a bit much for me. By the way, I voted for Peroutka, so I think I covered politics and religion with one toss. Wink

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
as long as the discourse is conducted with civility and people are open to other ideas its interesting.

That's the challenge. Unfortunately, those are two topics which you can pretty much bet no one will change their mind, and the more it is discussed, the deeper lines are drawn in the sand and the more likely people are to get offended. No thanks.

Besides, I prefer to not have to resort ot heavy handed moderation, but that's what will be required in order to keep such topics civil.

Dan
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me

had any good runs lately?

I was psyched I got to meet an hang out with Lornah Kiplagat on Wednesday night - what an amazing person she is.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now there is a topic worth discussing!!!

How did you meet her? Give us details please. I am always curious about the elite. I have had the opportunity to meet some semi-elite runners and they were always extremely easy to talk to.
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy that coaches our speed sessions knows her and Peter Langerhorst (sp?) and after our final workout on Wed (prep for Sunday's NYC marathon) he got them to come to the store that we sort of run for (not that I get any free stuff but good discounts) for a little party Pizza and such - it was a blast

Well anyway I just hung out and eventually mademy way over there and started chatting with her wound up just really shooting the S@*$ for like 15-20 mins with not too many interuptions and talked about shoes and her HAT in Iten Kenya, the work she does for women there and the Olympics, and of course the race this sunday - it was very cool and she was just a regular person hanging out honetsly - at the end she said something very cool like it was very interesting to talk to you all and how much all runners have in common whether they be elites/local champs/recreational runners - how the common language and such made her always feel like she already knew people...

Anyway it was a cool night and I have the picture to prove it haha
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And woo hoo I made JV!

Laughing
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a cool experience.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That reinforces my impression of elite runners. Whenever I see interviews with world class track and field athletes they seem to be so relaxed and down to earth. Allen Johnson is maybe the best example.

BTW, what do you mean by making JV? Are you competing for a school?
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha Micah - no I was just talking about the little runner post things under my name, looks like it flips over at 100 posts...

and yeah dan it was pretty cool
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah, that's JV as in 100 posts!! Remember back when?? Congrats, AM!!
My impression is that the elites like to kick back like anyone, without having it thrown in their face, plus they like to talk without having their guard up all the time. I'm sure Conway has a lot of experiences like that. Training with elites is quite an experience, also. I've had the opportunity to do some power cleans with Mac Wilkens a few times, and some of the women elite throwers. It's interesting to see how people train, without just seeing it on paper.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: only here Reply with quote

___I believe that an independent candidate, such as Mr. Nader, would do much better to spend every dollar for the election campaign within one state. This would possibly allow him to win the college of electors at least within one state. If I remember correctly, there are 55 electoral votes to be grabbed in California -- California seems like the most logical choice for an independent candidate.

indeurr_as_guest wrote:
___Since de facto, in the Unite States, we have binary party system -- I repeat de facto -- we do not need run--offs. However, in other countries, the run--offs are very often used. The run--off is used when none of the (many) candidates did not achieve 50% "plus one" of all the votes.
___For a similar situation to occur in here, at least one so--called independent candidate would have to win the election in at least one state: the college of electors' votes.
____
__190 lbs.__6' 3/4''__married to a woman with 19 yy old stepdaughter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
Micah, that's JV as in 100 posts!! Remember back when?? Congrats, AM!!
My impression is that the elites like to kick back like anyone, without having it thrown in their face, plus they like to talk without having their guard up all the time. I'm sure Conway has a lot of experiences like that. Training with elites is quite an experience, also. I've had the opportunity to do some power cleans with Mac Wilkens a few times, and some of the women elite throwers. It's interesting to see how people train, without just seeing it on paper.

I think the thing that people often forget is that "elites" are people too ... Just like you and I ... Only difference is they have achieved a bit more in a certain area ... Many elite athletes don't even think of themselves that way ... Competition aside they just like to do the same things we do ... They like to hang out ... Shop .. Watch TV ... And yes they just want to talk without having to worry about it showing up in a magazine or newspaper article .. I have some folks that I email for example that just like to have someone to bounce stuff off of - cause they don't want to be thought of as right all the time ... They just want to be normal ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: