FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
New Runner on the Block

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Verdic
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: New Runner on the Block Reply with quote

As your probably guessed by the subject title, I'm a new runner. I first got the idea of running just to be prepared for the military but now that I'm joining cross country I'd like to improve at a quicker rate.
What kind of training do I need to do to improve quickly? Eating habits, running distances, how often to run and any of information you feel may help. I took a look at some of the running tips and was wondering if someone could give a little more detail on the belly breathing? And is toe running something I should practice for cross country?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Toe running" probably won't help significantly in cross country, at least not initially. The practice in general will always make you faster, and being forward on the ball of your foot will make you more nimble in twisty and varied conditions, but it might be more fatigue than a new runner needs to tackle.

Quote:
was wondering if someone could give a little more detail on the belly breathing?

I'll give the same answer I always have in reponse to that sort of question... What area(s) are you looking for more detail in? Neutral As far as I'm concerned, the question's already been answered in pretty good detail, so I can't really fill in the blanks without knowing what those blanks are. Wink

Dan
Verdic
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point! I've heard and read about over training and how it can end up being bad. How do I know if I'm running to hard? Right now I run 3 times a day and 3 miles per run. But I always take about a 3 minute break after 1 1/2 miles.
What are some types of food I should try and eat daily?
If I run 3 times a day what are the best time to do so?
Is there such a thing of running to hard and can cause an injuries from doing so?
Finally, how do I go about setting goals then accomplishing those goals?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The surest sign of over training is not recovering between workouts.

If you're regularly running 3x a day, it's a pretty good bet you aren't running hard enough each session. 9 miles in that fashion probably is about the equivalent of 4-5 miles in a single session, so unless you have nothing better to do with your time, you aren't exactly maximizing the workout efficiency...

What sorts of food? Anything healthy! Forget about all the fad diets and just focus on basic nutrition. Good balance, minimal processing, etc. And get lots of fluids.

Goal setting is up to you, really. The only way to go about it is to decide what your goals are. No one else can tell you that... The key to accomplishing those goals is to set realistic ones and subsequently stay motivated. I like to have short and long term goals. Short term goals are usually season goals, and long term goals are ultimate ones. If I hit a short term goal I set a new one. If I hit or approach a long term goal, I figure I didn't set it high enough and modify as necessary.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verdic, Are you running on a team or alone? I don't think you need to run 3 times a day. I am assuming your cross country races are in the 5-10K range. For that you need to work up to a 15-20K long run each week. During the rest of the week I would recommend a fast paced 5-8K run that is not as fast as a race but fast enough to be a challenge. One other run should be a 8-10K fartlek. If you aren't familiar with that term, I am referring to a steady run that includes short segments at a faster pace. The length and intensity of the faster segments depends on how you feel but I would aim for 6-8 segments with each one being about a minute long. The rest of the week should be easy recovery runs in the 5-8K range. Try to run at least 5 times a week. By the way, are you currently in the military? If so which one? I was in the Air Force for 4 years.
Welcome to the forum. Very Happy
Micah
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:58 am    Post subject: training Reply with quote

I echo the other members here in welcoming you to the forum...

And they give solid advice... Are you doing the 3 X a day to get used to running at this point and how long have you been doing it? I was thinking that first see what you can do by either shortening your break, lengthening your distance, or removing it all together maybe try one of these
Run 1x per day but start it at 4 miles total your break after 2 miles (do this 3X per week) run 1 day with one mile increments and rests of 1-2 mins but at a slightly quicker pace (start this off with 2-3 x 1 mile depedning on your fitness). and then run one day longer say do the 2 mile training bouts still at an easy pace but say instead of getting 2 of them in get 3 or 4 of the 2 mile runs with alternating rest breaks (meaning all in one run 2miles on 1-2 mins off, 2 miles on... up to 6 - 8 miles)

Other variations I would suggest are if you want to do 3 mile sessions back off to 1-2 per day but no break and do it at an easy pace. And one workout I have always found good is if you have a track near you do sets where you have a track where you run hard on the strightaways and jog slowly on the turns you can work up to different distances over time... Lastly fartlek if you are not familiar is a swedish word for "speed play" and it has a lot of variations some people like the 2 mins on 1 min off version - I have also enjoys doing unstructured ones where the time that you are "on" varies and rest is until you have recovered - here is a website that explains it and gives examples as well

http://uk.geocities.com/sandomenicorrc/fartlek.html
Verdic
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great info!! I will be joining my high school cross country team at the end of this week. I'm not quite sure what "K" is compared to actual miles... Micah you said that I should do some running at 15-20k once a week. How many miles is that? Also on the faster pace run of 5-8k how many miles is that?

AM_Runner, ya I'm really just trying to build up my endurance by running 3 times a day.. I've only been running for about 2 weeks. As for taking a break, I ran 3 straight miles for the first time lastnight but as Dan said I think I need to work on running further each session rather then running 3 times a day.

At what point should I start the fartlek training? I have a good feeling that running that sort of run is going to be harder for me then anything I've done so far.

And at this time I'm not in the military (Only a Junior). I'm wanting to join the army but will only join if I can get a SF contract with them, otherwise I'll probably be joining the marines.

Thanks for the great info, really is a big help!!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5k (kilometers) = 3.1m, so 15-20k makes for a pretty easy on-the-fly calculation: 9-12 miles, or right around the typical mileage-oriented 10 mile long run a week.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that Verdic. For some reason I was guessing you were European. Confused

It may be hard to get a SF contract on initial entry with the Army. I'm not sure how the recruiting works anymore. But good luck all the same. And keep us posted on how you do with your races.
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup and I totally agree with dan on that that you need to run longer in your runs and probabkly as singles I was more trying to get you there in a way you could adapt to since you already had been doing 3 X with the rest - cutting back to 2 X with no break at first and then moving to 1 X per day 5-6 with with one short break and eventiually no break... Just a lot of ways to get there dependent on your fitness

(not sure if that makes sense to you - If it doesn't I will clarify if I can or one of the other guys can)

As far as fartlek and/or some type of speed I would say you can start any time - yeah it will be hard but your body will adapt - try not to go too far over board the first few times though...

I think th eotehr guys will agree that along with your easy days running that a day of speedwork (fartlek) and a longer run once per week will do wonders for your fitness and prepare you to make that jump.

Good luck
Verdic
Lurker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, nope not European. actually live in Sacramento but used to live in Portland OR. Nice to see that Dan is from around that area. I'm certainly going to try and do longer runs with shorter or no breaks. The fartlek seems real tough to me but think I'm going to really like it after a while.

To see how far exactly I'm running is it a good or bad idea to practice on a track?

Thanks again for the tips!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul lives up in Portland, as well. I was just down in Sacto this summer visiting a friend...

Running on the track is great for judging pace. A coach of mine often said that's the only reason for doing longer stuff on the track.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verdic, You are in one of the best running cities in the country! Have you heard of the Buffalo Chips Running Club? They are a great running club with training sessions, races and an excellent web site.

BTW, I used to visit Sacramento when I was stationed at Castle AFB in Merced. Have you been down there to the museum?
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verdic - yup Running on th track is a great idea to judge things like distance and pacing, you know how far you went and you can know what pace you are going. Once you get accustomed to this its a lot easier out on the roads to know yeah that felt the same as when I was running around 9 minutes on they track - sure not exactly but you understand what pacing and distances are... I love training on the track and like to vary things when races are coming up so I feel what too fas or too slow is like it helps me com erace day...

Good Luck and keep us all up to date on what you are doing.
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another list of ready made programs available from Running Times

Give the Novice one a look if thats not intense enough for you check the intermediate one. There is also a list at the bottom of other sites with training programs if that is waht you desire
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: