Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Fantasy Track & Field League
thoughts for 2005 Fantasy season

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Fantasy Track & Field League
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: thoughts for 2005 Fantasy season Reply with quote

I was just talking to a friend who's a regular in fantasy football leagues and got an idea that might be worth considering for next year.

We've tossed around the possibility of allowing "trades" once the season gets underway, but that seems really, really difficult to implement technically.

But with this idea, we might be able to accomplish something similar, with the goal being to not punish people who's entire roster comes up lame...

Here's the scoop, following with my apparent decision this thread to confine paragraphs to a single sentence... Neutral

More points are available for roster selection (perhaps).

Once your roster is selected, you choose a default group that is a subset of that roster.

Each meet, you log into your account and select an active roster from the overall roster selected at the start, basing the selection on which athletes are expected to compete.

If you don't select an active roster for a meet, your default roster is used.

Scoring (points) would be handled just the same as it is now.

It would still take a fair amount of program modifying to pull off, but it wouldn't be terribly difficult to do ... just time consuming up front.

We could do things like:

- require each default roster to have at least (or exactly) one athlete per event

- only score one (or 'x' number) athlete per event for active rosters

- change nothing about selection/scoring and just do the active/inactive thing for more flexibility

Thoughts?

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow ... Just when I got it figured out !!! LOL ...

Might be nice to have the ability to make some changes though ... Although it might lead to overthinking ones roster on a regular basis ... LOL ... Would like to see how much interest there is before having you go through all the trouble ... Things have finally got fairly flushed out as it is ... So unless there is a hue and cry for change that would be at your discretion ... But like I said I would think that having the ability to effect some change during the season might be a nice thing to add ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Would like to see how much interest there is before having you go through all the trouble ...

Agreed.

Another possibility is to have the default roster and be allowed to make 'x' changes to it each meet for the active roster. Additionally, it could either revert back to the default roster after the meet or the previous meet's active roster would become the new default roster, really making things a long-term gamble. Wink

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK ... I think I followed that ... Butu either way, would like to see some others chime in and give their thoughts first ... A lot to do if it really doesn't matter to anyone - not that it might not be fun ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should clarify on the last suggestion above that I meant you could make 'x' changes to the active roster, from the reserve pool of your overall roster, not from all of the athletes. A good deal of planning would still need to go into initial roster selections.

Dan
VIPAM
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan

I think that would be a nice addition, but me personally I prefer the current selection process-despite me being killed by three high priced athletes. The current process makes it more challenging and forces you to make wise decisions at the start and then follow your athletes closer than you normally would.

VIPAM
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two votes against changing...

Another angle to consider ... I still entertain the thought from time to time of having a pay-to-enter option, where doing so makes you eligible for prize money at the end. Perhaps the pool/default/active roster selections could be tied to that option?

Dan
VIPAM
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan

Thats a very interesting idea from my prospective; however, would that decrease the number of people playing in the future? As a psychologist I know that more people object to change then ones accept it after becoming familiar with something-sometimes even the simpliest changes. I'm sure you will make it interesting next year. GREAT JOB!

VIPAM
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could go either way, and I'm not sure I'd want to venture a guess as to which way it would swing...

But keep in mind, with that suggestion, there'd still be the option to play as normal with no fee. Some people might be turned off by the extra complexity, but there are also a lot of people that expect Fantasy sports to have a prize pool and might be drawn in by it.

Having done all the programming to get roster selection and meet scoring done automatically, it's no more work for me to maintain a contest of 1,000 than it is to maintain one of 100. So, the more participation the better, as far as I'm concerned.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, not sure which way it would swing ... We've got about 200 folks that have played over the past couple of years ... I'd like to see if any are vocal about it - one way or the other ...

I thought that this year was really good - the team selection, point values, etc ... I'm pretty proud of the system the way it is ... But then I almost feel like a parent as you and I have been with this thing from the very first thought ... Adn I do agree with VIP regarding the vested interest that you have in athletes from the start of the season onward ... I know there are athletes that I got into on the circuit simply becasue they were on my team and I was interested in their health and where they were running next or why they weren't running ...

But I can also see your new ideas working as well ... The other thought though is that at some point the game needs to be the same for a while ... So that people feel comfortable with it ... Now might be a good time to do that for a season or two and THEN make a major upgrade/change to things ...

Just a thought ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All very good points. The game itself hasn't changed in its first 3 years, but the selection process has been tweaked enough each year to give it a significantly different flavor.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it the way it is. I agree with Conway that if you have a reserve pool to tinker with it could lead to overthinking your squad every meet. I like the aspect of picking a team up front and then knowing that you have to live or die with it for the entire season.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three against...

Dan
Swoosher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of being able to change the roster from a "reserves" list, however it may disadvantage those who are travelling a lot or not around to constantly make changes to their roster - making the game less fair for these people.

Perhaps we could select "x" number of reserves at the start of the season but at the halfway point of the season you are given ONLY ONE opportunity to change your roster with these selections. This way you still have the excitement and strategy of picking and changing reserves - however don't have the hassle of having to login each day/week to tinker with your team.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could work.

I guess we're at one luke-warm for, 3 against...

I should add that a big selling point of going the proposed route is increased participation from contestants. We're slowly building in that regard, but still, the vast majority of the players are an anonymous presence. Get those people interacting more and the overall contest is bound to grow.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Fantasy Track & Field League All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: