Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
100m and 200m Times

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
USGOLD2004
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone happen to notice that Gatlin gave up the silver at around 5-10m to go?

He didn't stay composed and started to take long strides instead of his regular stride. If he stayed in the flow he would've ran 20.00s or just under.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I did notice ... Not sure what he was doing ... Whether he was fatiguing or what ... But it was very uncharacteristic ...
USGOLD2004
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick sidenote off 100m and 200m. Its 110m hurdles.

Wind : +0.3

Rk Bib Name NOC DOB Lane React Fn Result
1 1363 LIU Xiang CHN 13 JUL 1983 4 0.139 12.91 OR (=WR)
2 3353 TRAMMELL Terrence USA 23 NOV 1978 6 0.154 1 13.18
3 1453 GARCIA Anier CUB 09 MAR 1976 7 0.169 13.20 SB
4 2254 WIGNALL Maurice JAM 17 APR 1976 5 0.164 13.21
5 2424 OLIJARS Stanislavs LAT 22 MAR 1979 2 0.174 13.21
6 1304 ALLEN Charles CAN 29 MAR 1977 1 0.139 13.48
7 1250 INOCENCIO Mateus BRA 17 MAY 1981 8 0.169 13.49
8 1731 DOUCOURE Ladji FRA 28 MAR 1983 3 0.204 13.76

Equalling that WR is insane, I can't believe that, and a new OR, that guy must fly.
VIPAM
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: S. Crawford, A. Powell, J. Gatlin, and U. Boit Reply with quote

I think S. Crawford, A. Powell, and J. Gatlin all have the potential to run under the 100m World Record but who will actually do it-my opinion Powell and Gatlin eventually. In the 200m S. Crawford if he stays healthy should become the 2nd fastest ever at 200m (under 19.55) that is until Usain Boit matures-but I don't think either will touch Michael Johnson's 200m World Record. That would take perfect conditions, including maximum allowable wind, and a once in a lifetime performance from either.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gut feeling is Gatlin has more potential at 200 than 100 and Crawford vice versa, but that doesn't seem to be their focus (or best successes) right now. Powell certainly has the talent, but he needs to establish himself as a fierce competitor before that'll amount to anything.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ... I don't see anyone with the potential to get the 100 WR ... None of these guys have the turnover necessary to do so ... Powell and Gatlin are taller sprinters with longer strides who will have great difficulty getting any better turnover ... Crawford is maxed out on his turnover and doesn't have the start mechanics ...

O agree that Gatlin should be a better 200 man ... Fate just handed him a 100 gold this time around .... Doesn't make him any better at the race ... In fact it is the only 100 he won all year long ... I would actually think that he has the better shot at the 200 WR ... And there is no reason why he couldn't get close as he has much better speed and an natural 200 stride pattern ...

Powell was fortunate in that he seemed to be the only person focusing on the circuit this year ... Everyone else was pointing for the Games ... So I don't think we'll see him dominate" the circuit like that again ... He is an exciting sprinter but has a lot of little flaws that I do not think his coach can fix ... Depends way to much on his start for a big man ... And his turnover while efficient is not great nor is his stride length ...

Personally I think Gat and Powell will both be injured again next year as both have form faults which lean towards injury ...
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next few weeks are gonna be busy for the top sprint dawgs...

We got the World Athletics Final (by the way I HATE that name, they shoulda just left it as the 'Grand Prix Final') with Gat vs. MO vs. Powell vs. Crawford...so that race should be hot...too late in the season for a world record however, but nevertheless we should see a quick time...

Yokohoma meet; Gat vs. MO...that should interesting, however after the WAF takes place, the outcome there should depend on who shows up or not...I pesonally think that Gatlin could get injured at WAF, I hope not, but we have seen time and time again the effects of having a long season, and then competing late into the season (mid to late September)...and considering he tried the double at the games, and we saw what that did to him in the relay, where Gatlin looked lethargic in the latter stages of his relay leg (he was running 2nd)...

I just hope that there are no upsets, in the field of injury that is...but next two weeks or so should provide the Sprint fans with some good action...and then the big dawgs close for 2004...
USGOLD2004
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to think that Gatlin has more potential in the 100 than 200 mainly because, Gat. has never ran sub-20 in the 200, and has one of the top 6 times ever. And will have much more time to break that record. And about Crawford, he can do it in both. I think he is better at the 200 instead of the 100, even though its pretty much equal. Powell can do it, but he has to prove himself in big time situations, stay focused at the task, and do the best he can, and he can do it.

Jason
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Gatlin go sub-20 in college? Confused

Dan
USGOLD2004
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, my mistake he ran 19.98 in 2002. But that was the only time.
My fault.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But that was the only time.

Sure, but he was injured much of 2003 and focused much more on the 100m in 2004. The evidence is inconclusive at best.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatlin has run sub 20 legally four times ... But becasue of his "suspension" they are not carried in the main parts of lists ... Gatlin has a PR of 19.86 ... So he is very much a high level 200 man ... And was World Class there FIRST .... Not to mention he was a regular 44 sec relay runner for Tennessee .... So his rep was made as a long sprinter who was "decent" at the shorter event ... And actually ran the hurdles too !!!
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Gatlin as a Freshman back in 2001 at the NCAA's in Eugene. I believe it was that meet where he supplanted Leonard Scott as the school's premier sprinter. He ran 19.86 to win the 200m, but I'm not sure if the wind at the time was allowable.
His first year as a pro, he pretty much disappeared off the face of the planet because of health problems, but his recent success shouldn't come off as a real surprise, he definitely has shown the potential and the ability to be a top echelon runner.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His NCAA win was wind legal ... But was taken off the books becasue of his ADD medication ... Ridiculous if you ask me, but oh well ...

I was not surprised at his success at all ... As I have said for a while now that he has all the tools ... I am surprised at how far his 100 has come down ... I expected him to be around the 9.95 to 9.90 range ... Not sure he can duplicate his 9.85 ...

I'd like ot see him focus on the 200 a little more though as I think that event gets short shrift generally ...
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: S. Crawford, A. Powell, J. Gatlin, and U. Boit Reply with quote

VIPAM wrote:
I think S. Crawford, A. Powell, and J. Gatlin all have the potential to run under the 100m World Record but who will actually do it-my opinion Powell and Gatlin eventually. In the 200m S. Crawford if he stays healthy should become the 2nd fastest ever at 200m (under 19.55) that is until Usain Boit matures-but I don't think either will touch Michael Johnson's 200m World Record. That would take perfect conditions, including maximum allowable wind, and a once in a lifetime performance from either.

___It has been shown that a person has up to 15-teen years of the highest competitive performace within his or her life--time at most (look The Lore of Running Doctor Nokakes, the 4th edition). If Usain Bolt has become professional at 12-twelve, he shall be done by 27-twenty--seven. He shall start experiencing health problems by the age of 22, and he shall achieve his best at the age of 21.
___What I mean by professional is not the amount of money that he has been making, but the effort that he has been putting into his practice sessions, and competition.
------
Robert Kolakowski also known as:

Drago
former Scooter69
Hornet
Kolaczek
pecunia
vincovita
indeur
indeurr
dekolak

138 Ripley Place, Apt. 2, Elziabeth, New Jersey, 07206, USA

BORN:

Bialystok, province of Bialystok, now of Podlasie, 12/28/1973
Wojewodztwo or Voyvodship or Province of Podlasie
one of sixteen Polish Provinces based on history and economy that were created during the mid 1990's to eliminate 49 provinces created by the neo--communist oligarchs during the late 1970's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: