Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Open Mic Night
Content theft, gotta love it

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan ... I'm trying to help here ... Embarassed
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, but I'm long past the point of help. I've spent much of the past year being receptive to the idea of looking for a new career... I see no future for doing business online. Just too many shady characters looking to ruin it for everyone.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that ... What do you want to do ???
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the million dollar question... I actually just ran into one of my old cubicle mates from my state job last week. Hadn't seen her in a full 4 years, and I ran into her at traffic court, of all places. Neutral She said my old job is opening back up next month at a higher salary... I don't think I could go back to that, though. I nearly died of boredom the first time around and my body just can't take a 9-5 desk job. Between neck spasms, quad cramping, and knee swelling from all the sitting, it was just brutal... Not a lot of quality jobs that don't involve a lot of time at a desk, though.

I've been doing a variety of odd jobs the past month, just helping out with various things here and there. Catering, school HVAC/controls commissioning, floor waxing, furniture moving, security system installing...

I tend to tire of any given job after 3-4 years, so I'm not sure it's even worth trying to figure out what specifically I'm interested in.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm ... I understand how you feel ... also kinda tough working for someone else when you haven't for a while ... Ability to schedule yourself, relative "freedom", and all that good stuff ... And you definitely are the entrepreneur type … Are there any web development companies near you ??? Or how about teaching at a college or something … Just throwing out some ideas …
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of much in the way of local web development, although I do know one of the key IT/web guys up at Nike...

A number of people have told me over the years I should teach web classes or something (a bunch of my teammates from Whitman went on to be teachers), but I just don't see that being in the cards for me. I think I'd dread pretty much everything about it.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Nike thing seems right up your alley !!! That would be a cool gig ... Teachingi can be a fun thing too .... Especially if you were doing it at the collegiate level ... I would conswider it if I didn't have young kids ... But I do like the Nike thing !!!!!!!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have a couple offers tentatively on the table, but I'm undecided as of yet if either feels right. One is managing a new Taco Time, and the other is going into General Contracting with a ton of contracts lined up and waiting to be handed over. Part of me wants to get back to a job where when I'm done for the day, I'm done for the day. Both would have me on call 24/7 (much like now) and a funny combination of responsibility and flexibility.

I'll have to inquire about any good fits at Nike... Can't say I would care for that commute on a daily basis, though.

Teaching just isn't my thing. Classrooms make me sleepy... And I'm not much for group speaking.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: