Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
40 Yard Dash Times

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
USGOLD2004
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: 40 Yard Dash Times Reply with quote

You know how college kids and pro football players are clocked at 4.2 and 4.3's and some are down into 4.1's. Well I just figured there is no way they can run that fast. More like 4.4 and 4.5's, and even that is pushing it. A 4.25s 40 yard dash, would figure out to a 4.675s 40 meter dash, and that is faster than every other 40m split except for two MO Greene splits. Which is ridiculous. Maybe a couple 4.3s 40's but even thats hard to believe.

Whats all of your opinions on this subject?

Jason
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

40 times are about as relevent as the color of FloJo's nails ... When I played football in high school I was timed in 4.4 over the 40 ... But my 100 was only 10.4h ... And I wasn't a great starter ... There's no gun ... The clock is usually started on movement ... And quite frankly it all depends on who's holding the watch ... Now my coach was actually very good with a watch - he taught me !! But still, put Mo in your typical 40 and he'd have to be under 4.0 ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under T&F hand timing rules, you'd have to round up to the nearest tenth, add 0.24 auto conversion, and probably add another 0.1 for lack of the gun reaction time. That just added 10% to the total time, and it doesn't even take into account rolling through the start that is often allowed in those tests.

Dan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject: 40 yard dash times Reply with quote

remember Ben Johnson the sprinter from Canada who got caught on steroids and got his gold medal taken away? his 40 yard dash time coming out of blocks on a track with fully auto timing was 4.36. remember how he blew everyone out at the start of that race? nobody can run under 4.3. thats what a track & field article stated back then and I believe it.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was that 40y or 40m? If yards, then where and how was it timed/measured?

Dan
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: 40 yard dash times Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
remember Ben Johnson the sprinter from Canada who got caught on steroids and got his gold medal taken away? his 40 yard dash time coming out of blocks on a track with fully auto timing was 4.36. remember how he blew everyone out at the start of that race? nobody can run under 4.3. thats what a track & field article stated back then and I believe it.

By using many formulas and split-times from Ben Johnson's 9.79 & 9.83 100m sprints, it has been worked out that his 40yd split-time from his 9.79 & 9.83 runs were both the same (both at 4.37+)

It appears that Mo has the fastest 40yd time (an en-route split-time) from his 9.82 run from the 2001 Edmonton Worlds 100m final. His 40yd split in that race was worked out to be that of 4.34+

I posted the same info. on Ato Boldon's forums the other day, as someone asked the same question. (Sorry for the size of the link!)

link

(edited by Dan for link formatting)
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with working backwards is it assumes hitting the fastest possible 40y en route to 100m is desirable, whereas in fact it usually is not. If you max out in the first half of the race, there's nothing left to finish with. Unless, of course, the formulas can somehow account for how much is left in reserve in an en route 40y...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah ... Kinda tough unless you have all the segment times ... Then of course it is easy ... Otherwise you have to make the assumption that everyone rund the 100 the same way - as far as expense of energy ...

Either way the 40 is such an irrelevent distance to time ... It only means anything to football folk ... And they don't use it with much success anyway ... I'm not sure that football people really understand speed ... Its just something convenient for them to toss around to say yea or nay when "evaluating" athletes ...
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When people are doing the NFL 40yd dash test, do they have to wear the entire NFl uniform? Or is it done in 'track clothing'? Thanks in advance
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shorts, t-shirt, and shoes ... Typically football shoes .. But now they are almost as light as track spikes ... Maybe done on grass, maybe on sidewalk type surface - mostly on the turf though ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and often with a running/moving start and with oh-so accurate hand times... 4.4 might as well be 4.9+, as far as accuracy is concerned.

Dan
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information guys.
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Can we agree on something: Reply with quote

___What is the relible unofficial world record over (the first) 40 yards and 40 meters?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Can we agree on something: Reply with quote

Indeurr wrote:
___What is the relible unofficial world record over (the first) 40 yards and 40 meters?

From the Video-Analysis split-times I've seen, the fastest unofficial 40yd time is Mo's 4.34 from his 9.82 ED run and the fastest unofficial 40m is Mo's 4.64 also from his 9.82 ED run

From Scientific Analysis Big Ben had 4.37 for 40yd from his 9.79 Seoul run and his 40m in that race also happened to be his fastest, at 4.66.

Also from Scientific Analysis Bruny Surin had 4.37 for 40yd and 4.68 for 40m. Also tied at 4.68 for the fastest official 40m split are Leroy Burrell & Dennis Mitchell within their Tokyo '91 World final 100m runs (9.88 & 9.91, albeit flyer, respectively)
40yd times for both: Leroy Burrell 4.37 & Dennis Mitchell 4.38

Looks as if Mo is the fastest, and probably will be for some time. Prehaps if this event was run at a meeting for sheer exhibtion value, some of the fast starters could crank out a sub-4.30...you'd have to catch a flyer to do it though Very Happy
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a hard time believing any analysis that doesn't have Ben at the top of the heap for first 40m/y... Been quite a while since I watched the race, but when you've got the fastest overall time ever run and the fastest start and one of the slowest finishes making it up, it doesn't add up that the intermediate times wouldn't be the fastest.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: