Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Beginner blues

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2000 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just caught the running bug at the age of 32. Ran my first 5k last summer. I am looking for reading material that would provide me with proper training to improve my time from last year.
Thanks!

[Anonymously Posted by: 'dtdandl']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2000 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you caught the bug! Smile

There is no single method that is best for training. The best approach is to experiment, follow what others have done, and decide what works best for you. Here are several running books and listings to get you started.

Cheers,
Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2000 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternatively, here are some running books available through B&N that I get a percent cut of. Wink

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2000 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caught the running bug? Check out this motivational running site at http://www.2kny2k.com and join the FUN.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'cyndi']

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2000 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I was once quite a good athlete with P.B's of
23.4s for 200m,23.4s for 200m, 51.7s for 400m and 2.01m for 800m. I also ran a 1/2 marathon in 1.21.34hrs.

But these times where all posted around 2 years ago, unfortunately when i started university and started working i got the taste for beer and money too much, hence, the training took a dramatic drop.

Due to this i am 3 stone heavier (about 40 pounds) and desperatelt trying to get back to something like fitness.

My training for the past 4 months has been very good, 3-4 good gym sessions and 2-3 running sessions a week. Again due to these sessions, my upper body gym strength is as strong as it has every been, but unfortunately i cannot lose any weight at all my legs and thighs, they are still hideous. Although i have lost a stone in weight over the past 3 months(wanting to do it slowly this time, due to failures in the past) i seemed to have lost it on my upper body.

Could you please, advise me on any techniques or books, or sites that would help me get back to where i was before.

Yours sincerely

Mark Melbourne

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Mark Melbourne']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2000 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

Looking at your times and the training you have been doing (from the email), it would appear your body is more geared toward faster, more explosive stuff. The tradeoff, unfortunately for you, is that this usually implies a tendency toward bulk...

I figure the best way to lose weight without adversely affecting fitness is to drop the strength work -- not entirely, but keep weight reps very high -- and crank up the mileage. You'll probably need 50+ miles a week for the metabolism to start doing its thing.

Dan
dimalu
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2000 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear beginner with the blues.....ask other runners about their running experience, training techniques and advices. Often are better than books......you should read books and compare both.

Good training technique is what works for you.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2000 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear beginner with the blues....
I relate to what you are going through. As a high school runner I ran the 100, in 12.25, 200 in 26.0 and the 400 in 59.0.
As I began to run in college I actually was not training as hard as I was in high school, combined with the the high carbo college life, I put on about 13 pounds. I couldn't get back to my old times. The next year was worse and I almost gave up. Then after a last attempt and sitting down with my college coach I devised a new plan and started training for the 800. combined with a new diet I lost the 25 pounds. I currently I was 3 time all american at the NAIA level that year with a 2:13.8 P.R. I have continued down that successful past this year with an 18:58 5K and was 3 time all-american indoor in the 1000 (2.55.8 runner up) anchored the 4th place 2 mile relay with an indoor pr of 2:14 and anchored the 4th place distance med with a 5:01. I am currently a happy 111 21 year old, but as you, when you look at me I still show evidence of my sprint days and have legs much to large compared to the rest of me. But as I, you may find that to be to your advantage, you know you have the leg speed which is a must. In stead of worrying about the size of your legs. do a body composition test and use that as a way to judge your progression. Good luck.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Cari ']
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: