Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Fantasy Track & Field League
2004 Golden League?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Fantasy Track & Field League
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: 2004 Golden League? Reply with quote

Has the '04 GL meet/event schedule been released yet? I was just looking around the IAAF site and don't see it mentioned anywhere.

Dan
Pavvka
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See here: http://www.iaaf.org/news/Kind=512/newsId=23593.html
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, thanks.

Quote:
IAAF 2004 Golden League events are as follows -

Men - 200m; 800m;1500m; 400m Hurdles; Triple Jump; Discus Throw.

Women - 100m; 400m; 1500m 3000m/5000m; 100m Hurdles; High Jump.

Of those, I've got good scoring models for the men's 200m, 800m, and 1500m, plus the women's 100m, 400m, 1500m, 3k/5k, and HJ. (I assume there should be a semicolon between the 1500 and the 3k/5k, but it's possible they listed that as a 3-in-1 GL event.)

That makes for only 3 men's events and 5 women's events. Do we want to fill it out with 2 non-GL men's events and try to apply the scaling we talked about a while back?

June
Fri 11 Oslo/Bergen NOR GL

July
Fri 2 Rome ITA GL
Fri 23 Paris FRA GL

August
Fri 6 Zurich SUI GL

September
Fri 3 Brussels BEL GL
Sun 12 Berlin GER GL
Sat 18 - Sun 19 IAAF World Athletics Final, Monaco, MON

AUGUST
20-29 Athens OLYMPIC GAMES

That's 8 meets. Need 2 more for a full schedule... adidas Portland (6/5), Stanford (6/6), Pre (6/19), Lausanne (7/6), Athens (7/26), Stockholm (7/27), London (7/30), and Rieti (9/5) would seem to be the best bet. Preferences?

Dan
Pavvka
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
Excellent, thanks.
That's 8 meets. Need 2 more for a full schedule... adidas Portland (6/5), Stanford (6/6), Pre (6/19), Lausanne (7/6), Athens (7/26), Stockholm (7/27), London (7/30), and Rieti (9/5) would seem to be the best bet. Preferences?

Dan

The US meets don't attract enough of the non-US stars to be included IMHO. The Rieti meet doesn't have that great a depth, either... Of the other four, I'd go for Stockholm (excellent meet every year) and Lausanne (ditto). I'd have no problem with London, though. I'm less clear on Athens - it wasn't great last year (you may remember none of the athletes on my team competed), but this year, being the Olympic dress rehearsal, I expect much better quality.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's similar to my line of thinking, although the adidas and Pre meets have been steadily growing in terms of strength of field. Still US-dominated, but many of the top international athletes are showing up.

Athens is the one that intrigues me. It's a very hit or miss meet, but I can't help but think they'll really load it up this year for visibility.

My more pressing concern is which events to choose, though, so I can start setting up the contest...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see going with the US meets either ... Good meets ... But lacking in overall talent pools in several events ...

And I too think Athens will be big this year ... Gives folks the opportunity to "try out" the facilities and city so to speak ... Kind of a trial run ... At least I would treat it that way given the opportunity ... And Lausanne is a good meet year in and year out ... British meets are like American meets - heavy on the home folk ... And Stockholm just doesn't pull it in all the time ...

I think the scaling could work well enough ... Just have to choose the events ... Men's 100 is always a hot one .. Especially with the parity that developed last year ... And seems like 5K was hot as well ... Although I'm not sure how many folks will want to run prior to the Games ... I also think the long jump could be big this year ... Both men and women ... Hard part is figuring out what events promoters will run since they don't seem to want to run a standard schedule any more ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like we're in pretty good agreement ... all three of us. Neutral So, unless anyone objects, how's this look for a meet schedule?

June
Fri 11 Oslo/Bergen NOR GL

July
Fri 2 Rome ITA GL
Tue 6 Lausanne GP
Fri 23 Paris FRA GL
Mon 26 Athens GP

August
Fri 6 Zurich SUI GL
20-29 Athens OLYMPIC GAMES

September
Fri 3 Brussels BEL GL
Sun 12 Berlin GER GL
Sat 18 - Sun 19 IAAF World Athletics Final, Monaco, MON

Makes for a nice full July schedule, a slight August with a big buildup to the Olympics, and a solid September slate to finish things off.

As for events...

Men
* 100m
200m
800m
1500m
* 5k/10k

Women
100m
400m
1500m
3000m/5000m
High Jump

* non-GL events, would need to be scaled to make purchase prices more attractive.

10 events sounds like a bit much, given the time it takes to enter the results for each meet... I'd be in favor of adding either the 100m or 5k/10k for the men, but probably not both. I'm thinking 8 events total, which means either go with just the GL events or drop one of the women's. Any preferences? I would probably say axe either the 1500m or 3k/5k, since they're fairly redundant and draw a lot of the same athletes.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I am biased toward the distance events it probably makes more sense to drop the men's 5/10k and women's 3/5k. Everything else looks like it is set up perfect for a runaway win for The Fighting Warthogs!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for event parity, but one reason I think that might be a wise idea is, being an Olympic year, I expect the long events will be contested a bit less frequently by specific athletes. Save themselves for the big dance.

Paul??? You're not getting off the hook without Fantasy input and setting up a roster this year. Exclamation

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say it, but it seems like the women's events draw fewer top names overall, so may be best off dropping one of those ... Although the logic of dropping the men's 5k is valid (less racing by top individuals leading into a Games) ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it seems like the women's events draw fewer top names overall

Well, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Makes roster selection more of a challenge. Wink

The important thing is that the event is at least contested. Beyond that, it all boils down to strategy...

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read these posts. My input wouldn't be of much use. I need to get up to speed on the events and personnel. I may still be a year away. This is always fun to watch, even as a spectator.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I may still be a year away.

Heck no! Peer pressure, everyone. Twisted Evil Paul, don't be a goober. Fantasy T&F is where it's at!!

Besides, it's not like I ever do my homework prior to team selection... I spend all my time setting the darn thing up and just wing it at that point. Rolling Eyes

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul is without a doubt a GOOBER Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

I don't do a lot of research either but that is no excuse. The teams don't have to be picked until June so you have plenty of time to do research. If you don't play this year then YOU will be taken to the woodshed Exclamation
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on, Micah. Thumbs Up

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Fantasy Track & Field League All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: