Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Stress Fractures=No More Running???

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 1999 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,,,
I run 10km approx 3 times a week
In the past i have been mostly a beach runner.
I am a Toe runner and vegetarian
The past 12 months have been mostly road/path running,,,,and i have been getting bad pains in shins and ankles.
A bone scan at the Docs reveals so called stress fractures,,,,
I am told it is from overUse,,and too Stop running,,,,,,,

I want To continue running and with my goals,,,,

any info on recovery/prevention would be Grrrrrrrrreattly Appreciated,,,,,
Regards,,,,,,Glyn

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Blitzem']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 1999 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, you'll have to take a break from running to heal stress fractures, but this is not necessarily the same thing as stopping running. Depends on whether you look at it from the medical or sports perspective...

I believe six weeks is a pretty standard length of time to allow a stress fracture to heal properly. In the mean time, you can stay fit through low impact exercising such as pool running and biking. It would be a good idea to try and figure out what caused the problem, so you can avoid it in the future.

Best of luck,
Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 1999 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!This is my first time posting.I was ready to create a new converstion when I stumbled upon my very question right here.I have also been diagnosed with a stress fracture.I have been told by almosteveryone to stop running,I haven't.I substancially reduced mileage and tryed to tune in a bit more to my "pain".I was training for my first marathon,too much too fast.....my friends went on to the marathon last week without me.I have been truly devastated by this injury.I continue to cross train,poolrun etc.Its not the same.I do feel a vast improvement,Its been about 5 weeks since I was diagnosed.I have run about 25 miles a week,no races.So.....my question is is it possible to heal albiet slooowwly while continuing to run?? Also,As i have been compensating I limp a bit on that leg.It no longer hurts but I do think I have gotten into a habit that I don't know how to break.Do I have to completely stop and how can I get my glide stride back???? Thanks so much for responding.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Katie']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 1999 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Katie,

Thanks for joining in! Sorry to hear about your injury situation. I can definitely sympathize with how difficult it is to be on the sideline while everyone else keeps running. Smile

I hate to say it, but I don't think the odds of recovery are very good if you try to run through it, even at reduced mileage. It takes a great deal of patience and determination, but I think you'll be much better off in the "long-run."

Listening to your body is key. It's good that you've noticed the compensating. That will surely cause some other problem down the road if left uncorrected. The only real way to break the habit is simply to force yourself to walk/run normal. If you cannot do so, you shouldn't be putting weight on it yet!

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 1999 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan and Katie,,,
Thanx for the reply,
It really is great to have a forum like this to get feedback from actual Runners and people with experience,,,
i am sure the doctors and like know what they are talking about ,,,but their is this kind of disbelief when they tell you no more running,,,Possibly even crutches,,,a
Ok,,,So,,,6 weeks of rest but i can still exercise with pool running and cycling,,,
Hmmmmm,,,ok,,,am not quiete sure what pool running is,,,,Yesterday i went to the beach and waded in to waist deep and just walked,,,and walked is this the same?,,,any links to info on this would be greatly appreciated,,,also Diet and nutrition,,,I with the aim of finding the cause of this,,, i read the above folder on Shinsplints,,,,perhaps this was the intitial cause

Katie,,,,
Yes ican relate to your devastation, i have a run coming up on the 14th november and really looking foorward too it,,,,, Smile ,,,It seems from what Dan says that the problem Will cure/repair with rest,,,then start training again but staying aware of what can happen,Hopefully it can be as simple as Better shoes,,,better training programme and possibly diet supplement,,,
Anyway,,,that sure is better news than a doctor Shaking is head at you and Saying,,,"Ooooooh,,,this is nottt Good,,,rest and try taking up cycling,,,"
THanks again for the replies,,,Glyn

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 1999 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My feeling is that doctors do indeed no what they're talking about, but that most are far too conservative when it comes to sports injuries. The mental aspect of an injury can often be more devastating than the physical.

Pool running generally consists of running in the pool (ocean would probably be ok, but more challenging) in a section deep enough that your feet do not touch the bottom. Most people need an AquaJogger (flotation device designed for the activity), but some people can stay afloat just by running fast. You can mirror the running form pretty close -- the water also provides resistance -- but without the impact.

Dan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 1999 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are really great,but how come you didn't tell me what I want to hear (joke) can i maintain any level of "running fitness" on any specific machine?I to heard pool running was the closest but I did it for an hour great workout but booorrring!I am so sick of hearing myself go on about this,its hard to let go.Its letting go of the social aspect also.Until the injury I was metaling at almost every race....waaaaaa!I am lucky to have a gym at work so every lunch hour I'm there.Someone actuallu complained today of my staying on the precor beyond 30 minutes!Are there any books written about the psychological issues of a sports injuries? Thanks....patience huh!

[Anonymously Posted by: 'katie']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 1999 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I wasn't going to say it... but I can't stand pool running either. Wink

One machine that works quite well for maintaining aerobic fitness without any leg impact is the arm cycle thingee (it probably has a real name). You sit upright and basically pedal against resistance with your arms. Ten minutes of that will get your lungs working, as arms don't have nearly the endurance of legs.

One book that would be well worth your time to check out, although it deals with sports mentality and not injuries specifically, is James Loehr's New Toughness Training for Sports (there's a link to it at this page. My copy is lent out, but I need to get it back and finish reading it. I was out for a month with an achilles injury and started reading the book. Within a week of returning, I lowered my 800m pr by 1.5 seconds.

Dan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 1999 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be a little late, but when I had a stress fracture...i did continue running on the street. Here's what would happen. The first couple strides would be awkward, my leg and ankle would feel as if it was about to give out. But almost instantly, my running would smooth completely and infact the faster i ran the better it felt. The pain came imediately after i stopped and began to walk off the run and cool down. All of a sudden I couldn't even stand and the pain was unbearable. This was all so very odd to me, and I continued to run twice a week on it, partly cos i thought i was invincible. It was a bad move, and I don't know what my point is other than running with stress fractures is not the healthy choice.
Everyones input and information was great! Rest well and run faster!
Michael

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Michael']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 1999 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael,

At the start of your message I thought you were going to say your stress fracture went away with running... I had a very similar hip flexor problem once. It would feel fine throughout the day and during the run, but the instant I stopped it got so sore that I could hardly lift my leg without assistance. The pain would subside within a couple hours, then I'd go through the ordeal again the next day. Of course, I ran through it until I couldn't anymore. Smile Teammates will recall the "mummy interval" -- my monstrous ace bandage slowly unraveling from my hip and being tangled all around my legs by the time I crossed the line...

Dan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 1999 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,
Dan,great recommendation on the Loehr book.I just started reading it and really think this may have been one area I didn't deal with the mental edge!
I just got back from a 7 miler with my running club,in the dark and cooollld wind!I still had to shed some layers.My point is I have to think there are degrees of stress fractures and perhaps there are some that can heal albiet slowly with reduced
mileage.I am healing and my speed especially on hills has improved.I attribute it to the reduced
mileage and cross training although i complained
about it every step along the way.My first race in several months is coming up this weekend.I just want to check myself out in a race situation.It has been a long slooowww recovery,for my mind i had to keep running even with the stress fracture,although i do think I have learned an invaluable lesson about limits,rest,stress and not
listening to the deafening lessons that we so easily tend to ignore.Where did all this come from!

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 1999 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Katie,

Glad to hear the recovery is going well and that you're finding the book worthwhile. I think many people, not just runners, could really benefit from Loehr's writing. The woman who recommended it to me is an age group world record holder and has gone sub-56 for 400m in her late 40's!

Good luck in your upcoming race. Don't overdo it too early. Sport is largely about challenging yourself and pushing past everyday limits. That's why knowing when to listen to the body and back off can be incredibly difficult. That's also a big reason why coaches are a necessity.

Dan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 1999 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,,,
Just keeping in touch here,,,well i have spent past 5 weeks pretty much same as katie, that is,,,mostly walking a bit of pool running and an occasional run on the beach when the simple 'want too' got the better. i do find beach running has a far lesser jarring effect through my legs.
Two days time there is a local 10km event i was really hoping too run in, and decided too just see what happens on the day, i havnt really trained just kept active,,,but i did go out and spend about 3 times the usual on a good pair of shoes. So,,,,,,Hope you all keep well and run well,,,,,SeeYah,,,,,,,,,,Glyn.

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 1999 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but i did go out and spend about 3 times the usual on a good pair of shoes. Yikes!!! How much did you spend and how much do you normally spend? Three times normal for me would be $240-$300!

I would think beach running would be good for rehabbing leg problems. The only exception I can think of would be if you do it barefoot, as that creates (at least for me) more of a slapping motion.

Dan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 1999 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just checking in again.I got my pr last week in a local 5K ....I got first in my age group and actually beat my competitors!What i'm beginning to realize is rest does make a huge difference.Due to this stress fracture I've been forced to reduce mileage and intensity.It actually helped my time its the first real break i've given myself.I am still healing but am encouraged that my fear of losing my running fitness has not been tbe result of the downtime.I find recovery takes longer and at times my legs are fatiqued and extra rest is necessary.....I simply tryyyy....to listen to my body!Stay well! Katie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: