Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Fantasy Track & Field League
Next Meet: Memorial Van Damme 9/5

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Fantasy Track & Field League
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: Next Meet: Memorial Van Damme 9/5 Reply with quote

Final meet of the 2003 Run-Down Fantasy T&F season!

http://www.sport.be/memorialvandamme/eng/

Event schedule:

http://www.sport.be/memorialvandamme/eng/general/

Now that we're back to the GL event selection, we'll see how much the standings change in the final week... I'll be shooting for 43rd, but it'll be tough to make up sufficient points with missing events...

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like we've got some start lists:

http://www.sport.be/memorialvandamme/eng/participants/

I've got Kipketer, Edwards, White (will she really run?), and Holmes. Probably won't be moving up in the rankings much with that crew.

Ayhan moving down to the 800m, interesting... Neutral Sure would rather get her points in the 1500m.

Dan
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

___It seems that I will hold-on to my low position. My virtual team will be represented by Block, Bucher, Kipketer, and Lobinger.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, the status quo. Smile

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 5 this week if Kelli runs. Not bad I guess. Breaking into the top 40 would be nice but that is probably too big of a jump to hope for.
Pavvka
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kelli White has been cleared to compete - the stimulant she used was of the 'light' type, so she may lose her WCh golds, but won't be banned. Good for me, I guess Smile (I have her on my team)
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for the sport, too. I always hate to see the IAAF eat its young...

Let's hope for a successful last meet for the forum regulars ... Pavka overtaking 1st, the Aussies doing whatever it takes in the top-10 to win their side bets Smile , Conway moving into top-10 or -15 contention, Micah moving into the top-40, and myself in the top-50. That would be a mighty big improvement from last year!

Dan
AJMullican

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have a good shot at 5th, maybe 4th. Which would keep me consistent with last year! Maybe I can get a "most consistent" prize. It's interesting, because while I follow track and field, I don't pay nearly as much attention as a lot of you do. I wonder if too much knowledge can be a detriment? Kind of like the NCAA pool: it always seems to be won by someone with almost no knowledge of college basketball (although, unfortunately, not me--I have a lock on second every year.)

But, as lucky as I have been in this league, clearly knowledge helps. For example, I have Regina Jacobs and Tim Montgomery on my roster, both of whom were washouts (did other people expect this?). If I had just swapped those two out with Ayhan and Aliu, I would be in the lead. But then again, before this year, I had never heard of either of them!

I know: next year I'll pick my roster, then ask Dan to point out the most obvious deficiencies. Then we can see how a combination of luck and knowledge plays out...

-Andy
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's mighty impressive, I didn't recall you placing that high last year. Me, I'm just trying to bring my average finish down into double-digits... Rolling Eyes

Quote:
I have Regina Jacobs and Tim Montgomery on my roster, both of whom were washouts (did other people expect this?)

Yep. I was quite sure both would be complete bombs. Tim is a bumbling moron who has psyched himself out of competitiveness, and Regina rarely races well outside the US. Neither is a good sign for Fantasy points.

But that said, you obviously did well at picking up significant points outside those two. Luck of the draw, I guess.

I probably follow things less than you would expect... Most of my team selection takes place several months before the contest starts, then I'm busy with logistics and stuff when you all are figuring out who's not likely to compete for whatever reason...

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo-hoo, Ayhan's been moved to the 1500 on today's start list! I figured she would want a shot at redemption...

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best results link:

http://www.iaaf.org/GLE03/results/eventCode=3020/index.html

Some results are starting to roll in...

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, fast men's 800m field. Surprised

1 Bungei Wilfred KEN 1:42.52
2 Mulaudzi Mbulaeni RSA 1:42.89
3 Sepeng Hezekiél RSA 1:43.12
4 Kipketer Wilson DEN 1:43.28
5 Mutua Joseph KEN 1:43.52
6 Borzakovskiy Yuriy RUS 1:43.68
7 Bucher André SUI 1:44.23
8 Som Bram NED 1:44.46
9 Jansen Joeri BEL 1:45.07

I'm not sure if Kipketer is slipping, or if the rest of the world is suddenly picking up the slack in the 800. Borzo's 6th place time would be a very respectable winning time in a lot of races.

On the other hand, the men's 100m times were pretty ho-hum, other than Powell's PR win.

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sitting at 653 points with Kipketer, White, Edwards, and Ayhan. Holmes is my only remaining athlete. 750 should be in reach, maybe better with a good time and place...

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of these races have been very fast. How about the women's 1500m?? Kelli White won the 100m which should help your score quite a bit. What's her official status now??
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both 1500's were smoking, as was the women's 100. Men's 100 and 110h pretty average, though. Kinda odd.

White's official status is still to be determined... She was cleared to continue competing but her gold medals are in limbo pending some IAAF medical investigation. Hogwash, if you ask me. There should be only one question to investigate: was the drug banned at the time or not? If not, case closed. It doesn't carry consequences until it's on the banned list and someone gets caught with it at that time. If they're still trying to figure what impact the drug has, if any, then they obviously have no reasons to disallow it. Even a monkey should be able to figure that out.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Fantasy Track & Field League All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: