Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
British Grand Prix(Men's 100m)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:48 am    Post subject: British Grand Prix(Men's 100m) Reply with quote

The meeting takes place next Friday(8th August).
There are many great line-ups, prehaps the most eye-catching event being the Men's 100m with Mark Lewis-Francis, Dwain Chambers, Kim Collins,Bernard Williams and Tim Montgomery amongst others.
What are your views on the Men's 100m event at the British GP next week??
A home win for one on the Brits? A return to form by Tim Montgo?
Another surprise win for Collins? Continued form by Bernard the Joker?
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brits seem to do well at home ... And non Brits tend to not run well in the cold conditions .. So I would expect Dwain and MLF to place int he top 3 ... Collins seems to do ok there so I say he wins with MLF second and Dwain 3rd ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Conway. For those of us non-Brits who get more excited by a good race than a good Brit showing, the sprint races there tend to be pretty ho-hum. Maybe better conditions are in the forecast?

Dan
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what conditions are going to be like next Friday.
But knowing ''good old Britian'', it's probably going to cold and damp as usual.
And it's supposed to our summer!
Justin
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're in Essex aren't you X-King? I seem to remember Dagenham being mentioned...forgive me if I'm wrong.

Anyway you must have a personal rain cloud because it has been blazing in London today and promises to be so all next week, highs in the 90s F / 30s C.

That said, this year has been affected by adverse weather more than any I can remember. The US NC, NCAA and many of the Regional meets were all weather affected. The weather also spoiled Glasgow (no real surprise there) and it was raining and windy for the UK Champs (Chambers 10.08 in rain into a cool 1.5m/s headwind is well worth low 9.9s on a hot day with a nice tailwind).

Chambers doesn't lose in the UK...and rarely wins outside it. Look for him to pull a couple of others under 10 if he runs like he did in Birmingham (note, I didn't say he'll win, but he'll force anyone who wants to beat him to do something stunning). MLF? Who knows. There are several versions of him kicking around - Bislett MLF (world class) vs Birmingham MLF (didn't handle the pressure).

Justin
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I do live in Dagenham, and it does seem to be raining constantly here.
And Chambers ahs lost several times in UK as far as I remember.

1999- He lost 3 times. The first time in the AAAs to Jason Gardener(10.04w to 10.07w), the second time to both Maurice Greene and Bruny Surin at the British GP at Crystal Palace(9.97s for Mo and 9.99s for Bruny, compared to 10.04s for Chambers) and the third and final loss in the UK in the USA vs. GBR match(10.16s for Mo, with Darren Cambpell in second and Chambers in third place).

2000- He lost once and won twice. He lost to Jason Gardener in Glasgow(10.46s into a -3m/s+ headwind.10.54s for both Mo and Dwain)
He won the AAAs 100m title(10.11s for Dwain to 10.12s for Darren Campbell), and he won against Bernard Williams and Mo in a venue I cannot recall(10.11s for Dwain compared to 10.24s for Mo)

2001- He lost twice and won once. He lost to Mo in the British GP at Crystal Palace(9.98s for Mo, compared to 10.11s for Dwain.The race was run into a -0.8m/s headwind. He lost again to Tim Montgo for the final time that year in Britain. Mid 10s for Tim,with Dwain about 1 metre behind.
He won the AAAs in Birmingham,with 10.01s,easing up in the final 10m to signal victory ala' Ben Johnson with his index finger pointed to the sky.

2002- He won twice and lost once. He won the AAAs(Commonwealth Games Trials) in 10.03s, with MLF 2nd in 10.07s whilst carrying a gammy hamstring. He won the USA vs.GBR vs.RUS match. Dwain ran 10.28s in the pouring rain, to win a close race.
He lost the Commonwealth Games Men's 100m final in Manchester(9.98s for Kim Collins, and 11.19s and 8th place for Dwain)

2003- He has won once so far...
The AAAs in 10.08s into a strong headwind.
British GP in Crystal Palace???
Justin
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it raining now? Temperature is in the 80s F in Notting Hill. Poor Essex!

You missed a couple of events in your attempt to trip me up:

Chambers won the GP in London last year in 9.98 from a world class field. He also won in Gateshead (10.27) and in Glasgow (10.15) this year.

Chambers in 2003 has yet to lose in the UK and has yet to win abroad. His season:

10.19 3rd Modesto 17 May
10.17 4th Eugene 24 May
10.16 3rd Ostrava 12 Jun
10.03 2nd Trikala (10.15 ht)
10.15 2nd Oslo 27 Jun
10.15 1st Glasgow 29 Jun
10.09 4th Rome 11 Jul
10.27 1st Gateshead 13 Jul
10.08 1st Birmingham 26 Jul

Given that he appears to be rounding into championshiop form, and no-one else is really standing out, it would be a surprise if Chambers lost on Friday. Those least likely to be phased are Kim Collins (runs well in UK) and Greene & Montgomery, if either/both runs. But my point is that Chambers in a big meet in the UK is a level up from Chambers in a GP meet abroad.

Justin
Justin
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missed one:

10.45 7th St Denis 4 Jul

Justin
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting observation on Chambers ... I have to admit I hadn't picked up on that ... But now that I think about it you are right ... Will be interesting this season given the ups and downs of all the top competitiors ...
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin wrote:
Is it raining now?

No it's also about 80-85 degrees F.
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry everyone,about turning this subject into a Weather topic.
What other events are going to as exciting, possibly even more exciting than the Men's 100m?
Men's 200m? Women's 100m? I haven't seen the line-ups.
Justin
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I should have sprinkled some Smile through my post to emphasise it's light-heartedness.

I'm relieved it's nice in Dagenham, X-King. I'd hate to imagine that just a few miles from me someone wasn't able to enjoy the sun... Smile

On the Brits, the reverse seems to be true of MLF, who seems to have placed too much pressure on himself at home (World Indoors, UK Champs, UK GPs) but run better abroad (Ostrava, Oslo).

Justin Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: