Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Hi there

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tracinho
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:32 am    Post subject: Hi there Reply with quote

Hi guys/gals

I'm new here, seems like you have a great spot with lots of good information. Keep up the great work!

I have a question for you more experienced individuals...

I have been running for about 4 years. I run largely as training for university soccer, but I do enjoy it as an activity in it's own right. My question: sometimes when i take a day off i find myself running better the next time i am out, meaning I feel better during the run and my overall performance is improved. Does this make sense? It seems strange to me. Isn't the nature of cardio training to do as much as often as possible (assuming appropriate rest time) to see the best benefits? I always assumed it was best to not take breaks from your routine, which in my case would be not taking any days off.

Oh yeah - 22 m, 6'0, 183lb

Thanks I'm looking forward to any replies...
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mixed results with my runs after a day off. Some times it leaves my muscles stiff from not enough activity the day before. Other times I feel rejuvinated.

If you feel significantly better after a day off and you usually run every day, it's possible that you're overtraining.

What kind of running are you doing exactly? And does it change from day to day?
tracinho
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually alternate between 19-21 min 5k's one day and a 12-13 min 3k run with 10 x 100m sprints on the next. My current training goal is to score well (3400m +) on the Cooper test (12 min. run) during my soccer training camp at the end of Aug.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Isn't the nature of cardio training to do as much as often as possible (assuming appropriate rest time) to see the best benefits?

You're sort of talking about two different things. The idea behind "the more the better" with aerobic work is that it takes a volume of it for the benefits to take effect, and being low intensity, it's easier to handle those higher volumes. However, doing more of anything saps your energy, so the aerobic benefit is a matter of long term conditioning, not day to day progress. The latter would be what is expected more of high intensity work.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your workouts sound perfectly suited for soccer. If you were to throw a light, or non-workout every few days, I could see where you would notice the difference from the rest. If the schedule of a week does not hinder you, and you were to do 4 workouts in a row with a day off, I would think that would be productive.

There are a lot of soccer players that end up having running careers.

Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: