Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Resting Heart Rate Measurement

View previous topic :: View next topic  
antoniost
Lurker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:24 am    Post subject: Resting Heart Rate Measurement Reply with quote

When is the appropriate time to measure resting heart rate? One source I've read says you can get an accurate measurement if you wear a monitor that will record while you sleep. Another source, says you should measure it as soon as you wake up after a good night's rest, and you should keep the heart rate monitor next to you before you go to bed so that you dont elevate your heart rate by getting out of bed to get the monitor. I have done both, and I get an average of 46 bpm (42 bpm was the recorded lowest) when I'm asleep, and 50 bpm when I just wake up. Which number should I use to calculate my working heart rate range?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always heard to record it when you first wake up, but that might just be a general recommendation because most people don't have measuring devices handy for while they sleep. However, I would guess most target heart rate calculations are based on awake measurements, so the sleeping ones may be more accurate but less meaningful.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: