Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Swimmer learning to sprint

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cooter
Lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject: Swimmer learning to sprint Reply with quote

After swimming all through highschool and then doing a couple of tri's my first 2 years of college I started getting a little burnt out on "individual" sports, so a couple of weeks ago I decided to join the rugby team my friend was on. This has brought me to one of the most horrifying realizations in my life... I don't know how to sprint.

My first 5-10 yards is pretty good, but I utterly lack any gear beyond first. Evil or Very Mad I've tried to read up on the subject and I know that both my stride length and frequency are pretty weak, and I have a bad tendency towards overstriding and not maintaining my momentum. I'm starting to do plyo and power oriented lifts to work on stride length, but I don't know what to focus on as far as stride frequency and technique. What should I be concentrating on when I run?
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

___A good sprinter should be near hyperactive, driven, able to get angry quickly, and able to weight lift in an explosive manner. It is not just body, it is psyche as well.
___You seem to pay too much attention to the nitty-gritty details. Instead, you should just blast it, and ... seek advise from the more experienced sprinters and local coaches.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try doing uphill tempo runs and sprints. That should force you into a better rhythm and stride pattern.

Dan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeurr- Wow, It's amazing how you described someone who is the exact opposite of me Laughing . I probably am overanalyzing this; same problem as in golf... do it right, but don't think about it AAARGH!!!

Dan- Thanks for the tip. What kind of incline are we talking about here? I've known people who won't go over 3% grade for their hill sprints and some people who would race up an overhanging cliff if they could.

Thanks for the replies guys
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A grade of 3% or less isn't noticeable unless you're running a lengthy distance, if at all, and that does nothing for developing sprint mechanics. Just guessing a number, I would say more along the lines of 15-25%. The point is to force you into an attack mode and run with good foot placement and body position.

Dan
Cooter
Lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm sure I'll come back to post on my progress and bug everybody for more info in a couple of weeks.
LATL
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a workout for you...when i find it I will get back to this thread
LATL
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man Makers
You're not going to get fast unless you have sprinter's stamina. Here's a simple but tough workout used by pro football players and other elite athletes to build endurance and burn fat. At first, don't be concerned about time. Just focus on maintaining proper form and completing the workout. As you build endurance, begin abiding by the recommended times. For accuracy (and motivation), do it on a high-school football field.

> Warmup (10 minute jog/stretch)
> 10 100's (100 yard sprints in 15 to 18 seconds, interspersed with 30- to 35-second rests)
> Eight 80's (80-yard sprints in 11 to 15 seconds, with 20- to 25-second rests)
>Six 60's (60-yard sprints in 8 to 11 seconds, with 15- to 20-second rests)
>Four 40's (40-yard sprints in 5 to 8 seconds, with 10- to 15-second rests)
>Cooldown (10-minute jog/stretch)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: