Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Great Races- Gone forever?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank Sellors
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 1999 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are certain races from the past that I'd love to see again but I fear the recordings no longer exist.
My number one choice is a bit obscure. It is the men's 1500m race from the U.S-v- W.Germany in 1967.
It was a four man race and the two German athletes, Bodo Tumler and Harold Norpoth lead at the bell with Jim Ryun just behind; entering the back straight the two Germans began their sprint, and seemed to be really shifting; however, Ryun went past them - to use a cliche - as if they were standing still. It was magnificent.
Does anyone out there have a " lost" race they'd love to see. Frank
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 1999 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the Landy vs. Bannister race (I believe those were the two) where Landy looked over the wrong shoulder and got passed at the finish. Is my recollection of the description correct?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Frank Sellors
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 1999 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one -Empire Games 1954- is certainly not lost.
There has been at least two well put together documentary films made in the last 15years about the progression of the mile record since Bannister ( I taped them off the t.v.) and, in one of those,( maybe both) alot of the Landy/Bannister race is shown( including the famous glance over the shoulder incident )

Frank
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 1999 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't suppose you know the names of those documentaries?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Frank Sellors
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 1999 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first one was made in 1984 to coincide with the 40th anniverary of Bannister's run and I think it was commercially available at the time.
The second was probably made in 1994 and I doubt if it's still available but I'll check.
I could, of course, make you copies of my recordings ( although they will be on the British system )

Frank

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2000 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of historic races, does anyone know how I could get hold of a copy of the '72 Olympic games 5000 final. I'm sure it's hard to come by but if anyone could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated. Actually, any race with Pre in it would be of great interest to me.

Dave

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Dave']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2000 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen it, but I believe "Fire on the Track" has good race footage. It is the Prefontaine documentary that aired on CBS back around '94. There is a link to it in the Publications/Movies section of the running links, although I recall it being pretty spendy. Otherwise, the only race footage I know of is snippets in the two movies (Without Limits and Prefontiane). I'm sure someone has real races on tape, but I don't know who off hand.

Good luck,
Dan
Leech Boy
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2000 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compton Relays. Never saw them but heard lots of good things about them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: