Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
Pylometrics...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 12:01 pm    Post subject: Pylometrics... Reply with quote

I'm 13 years old,and for anyone in the U.K I'm in Year 8 my PR in the 100m is a dismal 13.50s FAT Embarassed which was set 3 weeks ago after I resumed training from recovered back and ankle injuries. The wind was +0.8m/s. But anyway my coach said not to do weights yet, and try some Plyo's instead to increase the power in my legs and arms.
What kind of Plyo exercises do you guys recommend???

Thankyou Thumbs Up
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're recovering from injury, I would start with low impact stuff like ankle strengthening rotations, lunges, ab work, back extensions, and skipping. Slowly add in more intense stuff like various skipping and bounding drills. I don't see any reason to avoid weight work...

Dan
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou for your reply Dan Very Happy , I'll try it out...
Justin
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

13 is too young to be lifting weights - your body isn't yet ready. Plyometrics are perfect for you - they will naturally increase your strength, explosiveness and flexibility and will help protect against injury.

I ran 12.9 for 100m at age 13 - I remember it because breaking 13 secs was a really big deal. That was in...1983! 13.50 auto is not poor at all X King - just keep training, listen to your coach and above all enjoy it.

Justin
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou Justin for your kindness Smile
I'm already feeling the benifits of Plyometrics. I feel stronger already.

Thanks guys!!!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is 13 too young to lift weights? I don't see any reason why light weight work would be any more stressful on the body that plyos or even sprinting. Weight lifting is just controlled resistance work, which is something the human body begins adapting to from Day 1....

Dan
Justin
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 13 yr old's bones, tendons and ligaments are not strong enough to take heavy weight lifting. It can deform or even stunt growth. Youngsters are better off sticking to stuff like chins, dips, squats, sit-ups etc which provides the controlled resistance work Dan describes without the same degree of stress on young bodies. Of course no harm will come from occasional light, high-rep lifting. But heavy stuff - steer clear.

Strength should not be a priority for young teenage sprinters - concentrate on getting technique, form, starting etc as second nature. The power comes later, courtesy of natural development as well as training (from the age of 13 to 19 I put on 1" of height and around 40lbs of weight as I filled out. I started weights at age 17 and was lifting heavily at age 19).

Plyometrics is perfect for improving explosive power while allowing your body to develop normally.

Justin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: