Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
Marion Jones ... Not in 2003 ...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From today's USATF press release:

Quote:
Jones drafted by WNBA team

Five-time Olympic medalist Marion Jones was selected in the third round
of the 2003 WNBA draft Saturday by the Phoenix Mercury, despite having
not played organized basketball in six years.

Jones, who has put her track career on hold until following the birth of
her child in July, started as a freshman guard on North Carolina's 1994
national championship team. A third-team All-America selection as a
junior, that season Jones averaged 18.9 points a game and shot 54% from
the field.

The Mercury is hoping that Jones, who has expressed an interest in
possibly returning to basketball, might consider joining the team
following her participation in the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens, Greece.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was another thing I failed to mention. Once you've drafted someone, you have locked them in, but I don't know if there is a specific time period before that expires, a statute of limitations, if you will ??

By the way, for anyone that cares, yesterday was my Run-Down one year anniversary. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
yesterday was my Run-Down one year anniversary.

Sure enough, I hadn't even noticed. Congrats on putting up with us for over a year! Smile

In the NBA, there is or was some sort of a limit on how long you retain draft rights on a player. It might be as little as a year (I'm thinking Jimmy Jackson and his brief decision to return to Ohio State over unhappiness with being selected by Dallas and planning on re-entering the draft the following year), but it seems like it's longer than that now based on all the teams drafting foreign players in the 2nd round and not even bringing them over for workouts for a year. Maybe the rules got changed somewhere along the way? Confused I seem to recall the Blazers were the 2nd team to draft Sabonis way back in '86...

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, well, what have we here...

http://www.iaaf.org/GLE03/news/Kind=2/newsId=22214.html

I wonder what the odds are in Vegas that it'll pan out? Rolling Eyes

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim just can't keep his mouth shut can he ?????
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's the first thing that struck me, too.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, par for the course ...

BAck to Marion ... Back when Henry Thomas was senior in high schoo, he had hernia surgery 3 weeks before state ... He couldn't run, obviously, and his team mate Michael Marsh ended up as state champion ... Henry showed up in Europe, however, and ran 45.09 for one of the fastest every high school 400's ... So I guess it could be possible although surgery and child birth are two different things ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a mighty quick recovery. Surprised

Here's one for the conspiracy theorists out there ... has anyone actually seen the baby or even pictures of Marion pregnant? Can't say I have...

Dan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
That's a mighty quick recovery. Surprised

Here's one for the conspiracy theorists out there ... has anyone actually seen the baby or even pictures of Marion pregnant? Can't say I have...

Dan

The hospital, where the baby is born quoted the name of the doctor who helped giving birth...or however You say that in English in their official statement. I think itīs pretty reliable.
Marion aínīt a Sharon Stone where hundrets of paparazzi are waiting in front of her house everyday. And as much as I know, Marion has never been seen a lot in Raleigh, also before she got pregnant. The girl likes to keep her privacy.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That may be, but she was the source of a lot of controversy this year and stepped away from the sport so abruptly, I can't imagine someone wasn't at least trying to get a picture. Think of all the sightings when she and Tim were training with Charlie Francis...

Quote:
The girl likes to keep her privacy.

Which would be in stark contrast to her public persona. Neutral

Dan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
That may be, but she was the source of a lot of controversy this year and stepped away from the sport so abruptly, I can't imagine someone wasn't at least trying to get a picture. Think of all the sightings when she and Tim were training with Charlie Francis...

Quote:
The girl likes to keep her privacy.

Which would be in stark contrast to her public persona. Neutral

Dan

Well, there were a few on sub10 that have seen her, while pregnant. Read it a some time ago.

The Charlie Francis thing was a HUGE SCANDAL, of course suddenly eveybody saw them and everybody wanted to know where they were....but there also were no pics taken when they were training with him on Hawaii and there was also only ONE M.J./ Charlie Francis picture in Toronto.

Her public persona? Of course, she is a celebrity, the most celebrated track athlete on this planet, but still, we donīt really know much about her, do we? I read a article on a Raleigh/Apex webpage before the Olympics and it said, that Marion is seen very seldom, so thatīs nothing new either.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, there were a few on sub10 that have seen her, while pregnant.

Ok, there's the answer I was looking for. Smile Just something to squash the theory that the timing surrounding the, oh, past 9 months was too bizarre to be coincidental... She was pregnant a month or two before the Francis training scandal, but didn't announce the pregnancy until push came to shove with the IAAF, conveniently and quietly exited the sport, made a public request for privacy, had a baby that pretty much no one saw, then announced she would be racing again a mere 10 weeks after the birth. That has to at least raise a bit of suspicion with even the most un-jaded of folks.

Quote:
The Charlie Francis thing was a HUGE SCANDAL, of course suddenly eveybody saw them and everybody wanted to know where they were....but there also were no pics taken when they were training with him on Hawaii and there was also only ONE M.J./ Charlie Francis picture in Toronto.

But it wasn't for lack of sightings. Just for whatever reason, no one seemed to be overly concerned with photographing them.

Quote:
Her public persona? Of course, she is a celebrity, the most celebrated track athlete on this planet, but still, we donīt really know much about her, do we?

Compared to someone like Michael Johnson, who is an equally large celebrity in the same sport, she presents herself very openly. Seems quite candid and unguarded on camera, which is what I meant by her public persona. It doesn't really seem to fit with someone who avoids attention...

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: