Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
Marion Jones ... Not in 2003 ...

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject: Marion Jones ... Not in 2003 ... Reply with quote

Word on the street is that Marion Jones is pregnant and will not be competing in 2003 ... Should be a formal announcement any day ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're kidding?? Must've been a premonition when I brought up the Fantasy T&F thread about what to make of her upcoming season... Talk about a bizarre off-season for her. Surprised

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I would say this is the beginning of the end for her ... Hate to say that cause I have kids and love em to death ... But that is exactly it ... Being a parent is a full time job ... And with both parents in the sport I just can't see it working ... We will see though ....
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And with both parents in the sport ...

I didn't want to ask, but I assume this is a very recent happening and that Tim is the father? If so, that'll also make his status this year more uncertain than it already is...

As an aside, I was told by a coach a few years back that a big thing in the old Eastern Bloc days was to have women terminate pregnancy a certain length in (don't recall how far along) because of the hormonal responses that apparently assist athletic performance. Neutral

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim is supposedly the father ... Will see what this does to his season ... Not sure he is the type who would care ....

Cynicism says that this would be the perfect way for both to leave teh sport (a la FloJo) without having to deal any further with innuendo, accusations or future drug tests (of which you can bet there would be many) ... One way to cover the early year's mistakes ... He can leave with his last race being the WR ... And she can leave with her medals and not having to have broken any records due to unexpected maternity ... Just a thought ...

I've heard the saem about the East Germans and the Russians ... That preganancy was used as a way to strengthen the women .. Hmmmm ... I better quit with the cynicism ... People will start to think I am serious ... Which I am not .... But you never know ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,6262391-23218,00.html

Note the peculiar timing...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peculiar timing ???
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 3 month belated annoucement, meaning much of the ugly stuff over Francis and threatening to sit out this season was not nearly what it seemed at the time. I'm thinking more and more that whole situation was merely a clever ploy to get Francis back into the sport officially. If he's been as instrumental in Tim and possibly Marion's development as many say, and if it turns out this is their way of quietly exiting the sport (major question mark there), then it would make sense to return the favor in a way that doesn't really harm them at all.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's possible ... Lots of possibilities here ... One thing is for certain, there has been alot of game playing all the way around .. Or am I becoming quite cynical in my old age ... Laughing
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No more cynical than I...

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Marion being in the "motherly way" who challenges P-Block? Christy Gaines? Angela Williams?
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With an ear to the track community, word on the street is that Marion may be as much as 7 months pregnant ... That would lend a little more credence to your conspiracy theory Dan ... LOL ....

In all seriousness .. I hope that the child is healthy ... As a father that is the first thing that crossed my mind each time my children were born - "please let em be healthy and normal" ... And I hope that Tim and Marion give it the love and attention that it needs and deserves ... AFter that you look at their careers ... And the only problem I see is that to date BOTH have been competing ... Somebody's gonna have to care for the kid ... Especially for the first couple of years ... So not sure here who's career is gonna get teh ax .... Or if the child ends up being raised by someone else ... I hope that is not the case ... But ....

Either way Marion is out this year ... No way she can give birth leave the hospital and go compete ... And if she is going to seriously play the mother role, then not sure how she will be able to get ready for next year either ...
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone imagen how fast their kid is gonna be!!!
WOW!!! I hope that it doesnt take up Track and Field!!!

X King
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Historically such unions have not panned out ... So I don't expect to see a star rising from this child ... But it could happen ...

As far as who is going to the top this year for the women, I think P-Block is the one to beat ... She has given Marion as tough a time as anyone ... Came close to beating her for the 97 title and did beat her for the 01 title ... The X factor for me this year will be Arron .. She is as good a closer as there has been in the women's 100 ... She has a 10.73 PR - which most have forgotten about .. She has alerady gone through the baby having stage if I am correct, which means she may have some added strength .. Can you imagine Marion sitting in the stands and watching Arron uncork something like a 10.68 !!! Without JOnes in the race a final with P-Block, Arron, Thanou, Gaines, Williams, Ottey, and Ferguson still has tremendous potential ... And a near 10.70 race is not out of the question ... Especially with the "mental" pressure gone ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 months? I guess the announcement couldn't be put off much longer... Wink

Without Marion, picking this year's medalists becomes nearly as difficult as with the men's 100. Confused Even tougher is figuring out what will happen from meet to meet (hint: Fantasy T&F League), as the top challengers to the throne tend to not race that much prior to championships...

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: