Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
Greek positives

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject: Greek positives Reply with quote

http://www.sportserver.com/track_field/story/841722p-5916240c.html

The above link references an article about two Greek athlete who just received drug bans ... I bring this up because last week Kederis and Thanou were not available for drug tests as they were both out of the country training with their coach who had not disclosed their location to their federation ... The federation in turn is talking about suitable punishments ...

This on the heals of several discussions across the internet last summer about the "selected" racing schedules of both Kederis and Thanou ... Everyone is innocent until proven guilty, in this society, but more and more circumstantial evidence keeps pointing in the wrong direction ...

Thoughts ???
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another can of worms that we have opened in the past.

You are right that everyone is innocent until proven otherwise. However, where there is smoke there is often fire. And as I have learned in my profession...just because someone is not found guilty it doesn't mean they didn't do it...it often means there just wasn't enough evidence to convince the jury. Sad
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everyone knows my feelings on the matter, but I'm not ready to jump to any conclusions over bans for ephedrine and caffeine, both of which are part of the average person's every day diet. Neutral

I do get the impression there's a push to embarrass the Greeks leading up to the Athens Olympics... Makes no sense why anyone within the sport would want to do that, but that's just the way things seem to be run in track & field.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does caffiene get on the banned list anyway?

I would hate to contemplate a morning race without a cup of coffee! How would I eat my donut :question:
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean why is it on the list or how much is disallowed? Last I read (about 8 years ago), the illegal level was the equivalent of 5 cups of coffee. I don't know if there's a similar allowable amount for ephedrine or if any trace is considered illegal.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My reason for posting was three fold ...

First was the substances that got the two Greeks banned ... Not exactly what one would hvae expected ...

Second that Kederis and Thanou would be out of the country and not have notified their federation which apparently is a huge no no ... And at an announced testing time if I am not mistaken ... Not an unannouced ... Do they even really do those ???

Finally, all the scrutiny surrounding the Greeks ... Like Dan I am not sure why the powers that be would want to embarrass them heading into the Olympics ... But that has seemed to be on tehir minds for a while now ... Is it just me or do the powers that be seem to want to destroy the sport from the inside ??? Things that need to get major news focus don't ... And things that should just as well remain "quiet" get full play ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it just me or do the powers that be seem to want to destroy the sport from the inside ???

No, it's not just you... That's exactly the way it appears to me, too. I really don't understand what the driving force is there. Confused It doesn't seem to be in anyone's best interest, other than maybe the bottom line of the drug testing labs...

Unbackable drug testing policies and subsequent inquisitions, heinously bad PR choices, shortening meets by removing events, new false start rules, constantly changing pole vault and women's steeple rules, pouring all the money into a Grand Prix Final that no one takes seriously, meddling in athletes' coaching choices... Not exactly the best series of decisions.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all ... And all of these things get front page news ... These are the things that the casual observer of the sport is MOST familiar with ... And is why the sport is viewed as skeptically as it is by "outsiders" !!!

Diack does not seem to be very friendly to the sport if you ask me ... HOw the heck did he get in the position ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the sentiment was he couldn't be worse than that which he was replacing... I'm constantly reminded of the painfully [apparently] accurate joke that accompanied his ascending to the top: Lamine Diack = Lame Duck

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worse than Lame Duck ... This sport is slowy dying a death of its own execution ... What does the track list have to say ... I guess I should get back on ... Although they sort of eliminated me ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a whole lot of talk about that subject on the list. It seems to be suffering the same fate as the sport as a whole... At least it doesn't take much time to keep up with the list these days. Wink

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad ... A great gathreing of individuals with very little to say ... Sort of sums up teh state of those running the sport in general ..
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that the more influential and known the person is, the less they want to speak out for fear of being held to their words out of context or being bashed for what they represent... That's why, despite all the negative opinions (my own included), I have an increasing respect for TFN's Garry Hill, who rarely shies (sp?) away from speaking his mind on the list.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give GH credit for speaking his mind .... Just wish he had better stuff to say !!!! SEems to rather out of touch most of the time ... But that is just my own opinion ...

I guess what kills me is that what the majority of influential people think is totally different from what they actually support ... If those with influence pushed their OWN agendas then the sport would definitely take a turn for the better ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunatley, those with something worth saying are often in a position to be heard precisely because they're unwilling to speak their mind...

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: