Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Shoes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff Shelton
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 1999 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently worn out a pair of Saucony Grids, bought a pair of Asics Gel Kayano's. Basically I haven't found a pair of shoes that I love. Any recommendations for a 180 lb. runner with no problems (pronation/supination) who runs avg 40 miles per week and races at the 5-10K range. Also... Would it be bad to purchase a different pair of shoes to train in besides the ones I train in now (alternat days or races), to determine my favorite? Or should they be the same?
Shoe help!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 1999 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeff,

Have you read the article in the Guest section about training shoes? I quite agree with it. Basically, if you don't have biomechanical problems, go with a light, flexible shoe.

I've had one pair of Saucony and one pair of Asics running shoes. My impression of the Saucony design was that it is far too stiff and didn't allow my feet to function naturally. My Asics were a cheap pair and wore out after an embarrassing 100 miles! Smile

I've been really happy with my Brooks Radius (orignal model, I can't find anyone that still has them in my size), which is saying a lot considering I'm a die-hard Nike fan. If Brooks has something that fits you, they might be a good option.

Lastly, I think alternating different pairs of shoes is one of the best things you can do. I read an article (in the Eugene Register Guard, I believe) in the past year or two about a professor down there who never runs in the same shoes two days in a row. His research has indicated that that's the key to injury prevention. I always have two or three pairs in rotation, although it's largely for different types of running (i.e. track work vs. trails).

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jeff Shelton
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 1999 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You for the insight and information. I am looking into the Brooks and possibly a pair of the Reebok DMX series shoes. My wife loves them, and swears by them, but then again she doesn't run near as much as I do. What od you think of the Reeboks? I know they aren't the traditional, but some people really like th feel.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 1999 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm jaded, plain and simple. I would never be caught dead in Reebok's, most likely even if they were given to me! Smile Someone was just recommending a pair to me, but that's a losing battle. Reebok seems to be the industry trend setter when it comes to high-tech gimmicks, and they're definitely not known for durability. You'll find that they appeal to women much more than men, for whatever reason.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: