Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Open Mic Night
atkins diet and running

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night
View previous topic :: View next topic  
piney
Lurker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 8:22 am    Post subject: atkins diet and running Reply with quote

Neutral
I am a 45 year old male who runs 40-45 miles a week. I would like to lower my weight by 15-20 lbs (currently 187 @ 5'8"). I recently tried the Atkins diet for a week and continued with my running. However, I noticed for 5 consecutive days (1st week of diet) that my legs were sore and I could not run my 7 mile run without walk breaks. Needless to say I abandoned the diet so I may run pain free.

I imagine this is due to no carbs for fuel to sustain my runs but why the soreness? Also, is there something that can be done to offset the soreness and conserve energy while on the diet?

Piney
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what would have caused the soreness, unless some dietary imbalance (potassium and magnesium together are good for sore/cramping muscles) was introduced.

I will say this: Any diet that is deemed important enough to be given a name is a gimmick. Don't waste your time with it; just eat healthy and you'll be better off overall.

Dan
RangerG
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you on this one Dan. I experienced the same problems, and am in the same age group as piney, running about 35-40 miles per week. I am 155 lbs, down from the 195 I was on Jan 1 2002.

Piney, you are not using themogenics like Sta*ker 2 or anything are you? Sad

I have also found that Pow*raid helps a lot as it has the highest GI index of any sports drink. This seems to help minimise or eliminate most of the cramping and soreness problems for me. I also take zinc and potasium tablets as well. Smile

(* added to brand names for copyright and non-endorcement regs) Evil or Very Mad

Geeezzzz....now I am giving advice??? Rolling Eyes

Good luck, and let me know if this helps.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranger, I assume you're implying you lost the weight by simply eating healthier?

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you do it RG? I am at 205 now and I have a requirement to get to 187 by Jul 1. I need any help I can get. Sad
RangerG
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

Yes! I ate healthier. Salads, Yougurts, and Chicken became food groups for me. I studied what people who kept in shape ate on a regular basis. I also balanced this against caloric intake and needs, as well what my body needed to function.

I cut out all treats, including candy, cakes, sweets of any kind, doughnuts, ice cream, etc.. this list goes on. I have a bagel for breakfast with a cup of green tea, a yougurt or chicken sandwich (that I make) for lunch, and a well balanced dinner that could be a great salad, to a chicken breast and good veggies.

I also run 5 days a week, with one walk day, and one rest day. I do around 350 crunches every morning, regular, and both sides. I also do weight training, plus working two jobs and taking care of my kids (singel dad).

I do go out and eat with friends occasionaly, but I watch what I eat. I get ribbed a lot about having a salad, when we are eating at a great steak house Laughing

I gave up on the thermogenics real fast when the side effects were horrible.

Let me know if you need any other advice...I just seem full of it lately Rolling Eyes (and Dan knows I am just full of it) Very Happy
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's some super healthy eating. Well done!

An interesting side effect of eating healthy is that you also tend to eat a bit less without really trying. Without all the tempting goodies, it just isn't the same...

Dan
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only diet that has ever worked for me is the blood type diet. Without garbage, yet, going on in my work, I was able to loose 10 lbs within 3 months January to March: 240 lbs to 230 lbs.
A blood-type diet tells you what to eat for your blood type from each food (sub-) group.
You have to be cautious, however. The diet tells types O's (I am type O--negative) to eat more meat than an average person supposed to. The key word is SUPPOSED TO. Most people eat too much meat anyway.
I know that some people who like Barefoot, MD, blame clogged arteries on Calcium deficiency, and believe the accumulation of the cholesterol to be a side -- effect. However, even if you believe in the above, why to aggravate the possibly deadly condition by eating too much fat. I see no reason. Thus when you eat meat, most of the time you should stick with lean meat, and most especially "Omega-3 acids" from the cold oceanic water fish like Salmon.
LATL
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a triathlete and I tried this before also i had some of the same symptoms you are having. I abandoned it also. :t-:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: