FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Hammer's 800 plan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject: Hammer's 800 plan Reply with quote

Here is a 2 week breakdown of the type of workouts my 800m runners will be doing during the PRE-COMPETITION phase of the year. I will follow this post up with other post dealing with the competiition phase, later on since I am pressed for time.

Monday: Sprint ladder 2X(100-200-300-400) [speed development/speed endurance]

Tueday: 800m Pace (3-6X300)

Wednesday: Recovery Running (4-6miles)

Thursday: Speed Endurance (4-5X150)

Friday: Recovery Running (4-6)

Saturday: Time Trial (600 or 1000)

Sunday: off

Monday: Speed Development (100m excelerations)

Tuesday: 800m pace (5-10X 200m)

Wednesday: Recovery Running

Thursday: Max VO2 (4-6X800m)

Friday: Speed Development (8-10X 75mhills)

Saturday: Long Run 8-10 miles

Sunday: off
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from that long run that plan looks a lot like what our middle distance coach has been using with great success for his 800 runners. I personally see no real problems with it. Hammer keep that plan handy I may borrow it form you some day. Smile
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all of the runners in this group the 800m is the longest race that they participate in. Coaching @ a small school (250 students @ HS) usually means that athletes have to enter 3-5 events to keep the school in the overall scoring. My best 800m boy will also compete in the 400 and run a leg in the 4X400, 1600medley and 4X200.

This is not the workout plan for the 1600/3200 runners or for runners who run 800/1600. But the framework for the 800 plan is based on our 1600 philosophy.

I have maped out 3 basic workouts for each zone. Workouts are applied based on week to week information (how athletes are feeling, what workout are the 400m runners doing, weather ect...) This is an idea that I took from DG. We try to group athletes together whenever we can. So when our 800m runners are running some MAX VO2 800s it coincides with the 1600m workout plan, an Idea that I took from coachd.

Since I am responsible for 2/3 of the athletes on the team, I do not supervise the 800m runners when they are running their sprint workouts; unless the 1600/3200 runners are running that type of workout.

All interval work is preceeded by 30min warmup that includes about 2 miles of running; and followed by 2-3 miles of cooldown running. The more experienced runners lean toward 3 miles.
irun4funNY

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 11:21 am    Post subject: recovery Reply with quote

How long and what type of recovery do you reccommend for the different intervals in the above workout? (Full resting recovery, short jogging, etc)
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The recovery depends on the type of interval being run.

With speed development (or pure speed) the recovery between each rep is short and active, but the recovery between sets is long and semi-active.

With speed endurance the recoveries are long (1:3) Example: 200m run in 30 sec. = 90sec recovery. Depending on the athletes speed endurance reps might be run in sets as well (3X(5X200m))

With Race Pace intervals I start out with (1:2) and shorten the recovery time as the season progresses. Runners usually run Race Pace intervals @ goal race pace.

With MaX VO2 intervals the workout to rest interval is equal (1:1) and the goal is to run them faster as the season progresses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: