Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
60m Indoor 2003

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Justin
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 6:42 am    Post subject: 60m Indoor 2003 Reply with quote

Some great short sprinting already:

Jason Gardener 6.54, 6.52, 6.52 and 6.51 before a cramp cost him in the final in Chemnitz. Beat MLF in Glasgow (6.52 to 6.59).

Coby Miller 6.50 and 6.49 this weekend.

Mo Greene (6.57) beaten by Terrence Trammell (6.51) and Justin Gatlin (6.54) in New York (Gatlin rumoured to have got a flyer). Mo ran 6.52 in Boston.

Good to see Tim Harden running again (6.57). Deji Aliu looking strong once more (6.53, 6.54).

Gardener and Miller look the pick so far. No real breakthroughs but Nicolas Macrozanaris (6.56), Asafa Powell (6.57) and Mardy Scales (6.60) showing promise.

Justin
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I think things are just getting warmed up ... I expect to see multiple individuals going under 6.50 this year ... Worlds should go around 6.45 I think ... Bodes very well for the outdoor season ... And I think there are several individuals poised to make significant breakthroughs ... This is going to be a transition season I believe ... What was once the expected top of the pecking order is going to change ...
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Greene can win the Worlds,but he is gonna have to get his act together.GO Greene!!!!!!
Very Happy
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here we go ... Greene runs 6.50 AND gets thrid !!! Trammell at 6.46 and Capel at 6.48 ... Can't wait to see it tomorrow ... Gotta bring the A game this year ... No doubt about it ... And everyone hasn't shown yet ... Still no Chamber and no Montgomery !!!! I think I am gonna like this season ...
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting article on MO Greene's injury on the IAAF Website.
If the link doesn't work give me a 'buzz'.
http://www.iaaf.org/news/Kind=2/newsId=20435.html
I think it will work,but just incase.
Thankyou
X King
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's unfortunate (the link works, by the way). I hope Mo and co. can find a fix for this string of injuries, but once "history" gets appended to "injury," it's unlikely there is any end in sight... Sad

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it my imagination or does Mo appear to be more heavily muscled than some of the other sprinters and could this contribute to the injuries?

Also, how about the women. Is Marion going to compete indoors? If not then is anyone poised to be dominate or will it be a toss up at every race?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo has been heavily muscled as long as I can remember. That may make him somewhat more injury prone, but probably no more so than early in his career when he did not have these problems.

Chambers is the one who strikes me as having bulked up quite a bit, and he's had his share of nicks and bruises the past couple of years.

I wouldn't expect to see Marion competing indoors. 1) the shorter races and tighter turns don't really suit her running style, and 2) too many distractions leading up to the Indoor season for her and Tim.

Not knowing who all is competing Indoors on the women's side, I would have to say a race-to-race toss-up is as good a guess as any...

Dan
Justin
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coby Miller beat Jason Gardener, 6.54-6.59, in Stockholm last night. Miller and Trammell seem to be the pick of the bunch so far this year. Gardener will be disappointed not to have gone under 6.50 following his season openers. He had a cramp in Chemnitz and also suffered a cold last week.

I haven't seen Miller or Trammell run but 6.49 and 6.46 tell their own story. A mention also for John Capel, 6.48 and 20.39 on his return to competition.

I'm really surprised abourt Mo Greene. He's not running bad times - 6.50, 6.52 - but if he keeps getting beaten his problem will be that no-one is scared anymore. His mental advantage over the field has always been greater than his physical one.

Justin
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah Ward wrote:
Also, how about the women. Is Marion going to compete indoors? If not then is anyone poised to be dominate or will it be a toss up at every race?

Marion hasn't competed Indoors since 1998 in Japan.She ran a blistering 6.95s which equalled the US Record set by Gail Devers in the 1993 Toronto WIC,and also qualled the 2nd fastest time ever run by a Woman other than Irina Privalova. I have seen that race and I have taken 10m Splits from it. They are quite reliable as they are made from a 49Hz Video
RT:???
10m:1.99s
20m:3.10s (1.11s)
30m:4.10s (1.00s)
40m:5.07s (0.97s)
50m:6.03s (0.96s)
60m:6.95s (0.92s)
The last 10m is Fast considering that Privalova went through the 50m stage in 5.96s during her 6.92s WR. She covered the last 10m in 0.96s that day which is fast,but an average 50-60m time for an elite Woman,which she was.
So Marion won't be competing Indoors. In an issue of Athletics Weekly in January 2001,she said that she can't Sprint in December-March because it's too cold !!! Laughing How can it be cold in an Indoor stadium??? Confused
How can she do her Winter training if it's 'too cold to Sprint'??? Confused
I just think that Marion cannot be bothered. I think though that either in 1998 and/or 1999 she could of obliterated Privalova's World Record of 6.92s because 1998 and 1999 were her 'Prime Years'. And she probably would've run in the 6.87-6.90 range if she carried on running Indoors in 1998 and/or 1999.
I have 10m Splits of Irina Privalova's World Record Indoors.
10m:1.97s
20m:3.06s (1.09s)
30m:4.05s (0.99s)
40m:5.02s (0.97s)
50m:5.96s (0.94s)
60m:6.92s (0.96s)
She slowed in the Last 10m.And if she carried on she probably would've hit a 0.91-0.93 Split.So if she had we can saefly say that she would've run in the 6.87-6.89 range which is fantastic.But she didn't so I'll just have to live with it!!!!!!
I wonder what Flo-Jo would've run Indoors for 50m or 60m if she would've transfered her Indianopolis and/or Seoul form to the Indoor Season of 1988???? 6.85??? 6.87???? Smile
X King

Last edited by X King on Sun Feb 23, 2003 5:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Privalova, any idea what she is doing this year? There was speculation that she would run the 800 last year but it never happened.
pierrejean
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X King wrote:
Micah Ward wrote:

I have 10m Splits of Irina Privalova's World Record Indoors.
10m:1.97s
20m:3.06s (1.09s)
30m:4.05s (0.99s)
40m:5.02s (0.97s)
50m:5.96s (0.94s)
60m:6.92s (0.96s)
She slowed in the Last 10m.And if she carried on she probably would've hit a 0.91-0.93 Split.So if she had we can saefly say that she would've run in the 6.87-6.89 range which is fantastic.But she didn't so I'll just have to live with it!!!!!!
I wonder what Flo-Jo would've run Indoors for 50m or 60m if she would've transfered her Indianopolis and/or Seoul form to the Indoor Season of 1988???? 6.85??? 6.87???? Smile
X King

Which 6.92 for Privalova is that analyse? She ran it twice. My second question is how did you found those splits, did you use marks on the track? I completely disagree Privalova would have run 0.91-0.93 10m section 50-60m is she hadn't slowed-down, it's in contradiction with all the analysis i've read or done myself about Privalova's races throughout her career.

I doubt also Jones did 0.92 in the 50-60m section of her 6.95. Also, where did you found 49HZ coverage for that race?

About Flo-Jo and 60m indoors, i don't see her running under 6.9 or even under 7.00 as during winter she was concentrating mainly on endurance work. To run under 7.00, she needed to have a specific preparation for indoor season, but never did it. Privalova was so good indoors because she was trained to have 2 peaks a year, in February-March and July-August; this was actually 2 season in the same season, and maybe this hard work for the body and mental costed her some serious injuries from 1995, but that's a personal point of view.
pierrejean
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah Ward wrote:
Speaking of Privalova, any idea what she is doing this year? There was speculation that she would run the 800 last year but it never happened.

She's still preparing 800m, but haven't run it yet.
She has run poor time indoors so far the last mounths:
3:00.8 for 1000m and 6.1 for 50m the same day in december, 53.88 for 400m, 7.43 for 60m and 24.37 for 200m this year.
Nothing indicates a great form, nor a specific preparation for 800m, but we have to believe what's she's saying. She is not excluding the idea to comeback to 400mH if she fails in her 800m attempt.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm really surprised abourt Mo Greene ... if he keeps getting beaten his problem will be that no-one is scared anymore. His mental advantage over the field has always been greater than his physical one.

That's along the lines of my concern about his confidence if he keeps losing races. It's just not something he's had to deal with for a very long time, and overcoming such obstacles is even harder now that his body isn't responding as well as it has in the past. He's got to feel a bit like the sharks are circling...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well 6.50 with a bad calf is not too shabby .... I will say that I saw it and predicted it on the Tyson meet forum in the Rambling runners section ... LOL ... But seriously .... He is still not phyically right and to me that is what he really needs to take care of .. His invincibility has come from his ability to call upon his body and get immediate results ... No matter the meet or the situation ... That in turn has lead to his aura of invincibility ... All this running when he isn't ready is not a goodo thing and he needs to stop ... Putting himself in the positon to lose is a dumbm thing cause it does raise the hopes of the others and makes him seem less dominating ... He has got to go back to work and get his body right so it delivers when he calls ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: