Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Distance Den

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff Shelton
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 1999 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With about a month and a half until my 5k; is there anything I want to concentrate on to improve my performance? I think I have my taper methods down but until then....anything?
Also, any reccomendations on carbo loading before race day?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 1999 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of phase are you in right now? If you're doing mostly base work, it's probably a good time to mix in shorter race-pace intervals. If you're already doing that sort of stuff, maintain your mileage until 2-3 weeks from the race, then begin to ease back and get the legs sharp.

Can't go too far wrong with pasta! Basically, anything that has good nutritional value and won't upset your stomach.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jeff Shelton
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 1999 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks as always! I am doing the shorter race pace interval work now. I will continue and then ease off aobut 2 weeks form the race.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 1999 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing, depending on how high the intensity of your race-pace stuff is, six weeks might be too long to hold it. It might be worth splitting that period into half or thirds and throw a week in of medium mileage with nothing faster than tempo runs.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Adam
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 1999 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a 5k race "carbo-loading" is absolutely not necessary, and could even be detrimental to performance. The amount of energy required to run 5k for someone who weighs 150 lbs is approximately 370 Calories. This is approximately equivalent to a large bagel. If you add in warm-up you may use two bagels of energy total for the effort.

When you carbo-load, the intent is to stock away as much glycogen, or stored carbohydrate, as possible into your liver and muscle tissue. If done successfully, you can walk to the starting line with over 2000 Calories of stored glycogen. The bad news is that this can add several pounds to your body weight, which will of course increase the energy cost of running and make you run slower . People typically do this for a marathon, not such a short race. Such a large amount of stored carbohyderate could also potentially increase the amount of pyruvate to lactic acid through a mass action effect, for those familiar with chemistry, which would also increase feelings of fatigue.

Light and fast.
Jeff Shelton
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 1999 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is funny you point this out. About 2 months ago I did a very short biathalon for fun. A 2 mile run/sprint and 2000 meter swim. I carbo loaded to see the effects, and I performed bad compared to my training results. Was this because of the carbo loading? I didn't really feel heavy, but I know I weighed more. I felt fatigued, and really tight! Any ideas?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 1999 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given Adam's points, and Jeff's example, I should probably clarify my position on "carbo-loading." To me, it means eating pretty much what I would any ol' day, which tends to be largely carbohyrdrates, with minimal fat, and just enough protien, fruts, and vegetables. That's why I stress the main thing being that pre-race meals be something that don't aggravate your digestive system. If you're used to carbo's, then by all means stick with that before a race! In which case, the term carbo-loading is rather misleading.

Dan
Jeff Shelton
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 1999 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks!
Could you give me an example of your daily diet on any given training day? I am trying to reformulate my dieting! Any suggestions for a 6 foot 180 lb endurance athlete trying to lose weight and become faster in the 10k range?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 1999 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breakfast:

a good sized bowl of oatmeal (with oat bran, sunflower seeds, raisins, etc.), or more often these days, home-made mueslix (sp?), with rice milk or soy milk.

vitamins with breakfast, as mentioned in another post. i double up on vitamin e and chromium picolinate during hard training.

Lunch:

peanut butter and jam sandwhich (big one or two small ones, with rice bread or corn tortillas Smile ), or mashed potatoes, amaranth/quinoa/oatmeal mixture, rice bran crackers, etc.

Dinner:

quinoa/corn pasta, beans/salsa/corn dip with chips (nothing but corn and oil!), vegetables, and similar stuff to lunch.

Before my wheat free/dairy free diet, I ate pretty similar stuff but not as much rice, corn, and soy. I'm happy with not much variety, which is good, because I usually can't think of anything different to eat.

I'm 5'9" and about 155 lb. I've only counted calories once (for a class), and I was up around 4,000 a day eating similar stuff as above. I figure that was pretty average for me.

I don't think you should look to eating for losing weight (unless you have very bad eating habits) so much as to get healthier and provide the body with energy. If you want to lose weight, do it through your running. Eat to be healthy, not to lose weight.

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 1999 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I can hear you asking, "where's the protein?!" I told you I don't eat much... Wink Most of my protein comes from soy, such as tofu/fruit shakes, soy milk, and tofu pudding. Peanut butter and beans have some too, don't they? Additionally, I normally add a can of tuna to my pasta sauce, so overall I think I get enough.

Dan
Jeff Shelton
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 1999 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I eat very similar to you now! I do eat a bit more protein but I am a little bigger and feel drained if I don't as I said earlier. I have felt better and have lost more weight through running and fitness. I feel like if I was lighter I would be more efficient. I have started incorporating weights (legs), and that has helped immensely but now my legs are getting big. I guess this is ok? My running times haven't declined but have gotten better slowly. Any suggestions? or jsut stick with it. Remember, I have a tendency to get big fast. I used to only run sprints and lift for mass. My goals have changed alot now and having trouble making the conversion.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 1999 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a tough one if lifting weights makes you bulk up. I assume you know to keep reps high and weight low to minimize that effect? If that doesn't work, the only other method I know of is to concentrate on keeping mileage high to counter the body's tendency to add mass.

I don't think there really is such a thing as an ideal body type for running. I used to think tall, skinny people made the best distance runners, then this little 5'3" guy comes along and shatters world records! By distance standards, I'm a fairly big guy. My theory's always been, if I'm going to be the heaviest runner out there, I might as well be the strongest. Work with what you've got. If that means being heavily muscled, find ways to make it work to your advantage. Work on hill power, downhill momentum, etc.

Dan
Jeff Shelton
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 1999 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, Thanks

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2001 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I am looking for all the tips I can get on running a 5K race.I am a freshman and i am 5"4 105 pounds. I average right now about in the mid eight-teens, I would like some tips on speeding up my performance.Make them different from the ones on the page to save time.Please respond quickly.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2001 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why was this one ignored?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'dirk diggler']
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: