FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Ephedrine and running?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jafar
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:55 pm    Post subject: Ephedrine and running? Reply with quote

Hey everyone.

I've used ephedrine based products on and off for about 10 years now. Started early in high school playing football. Never really gone overboard on it and never stayed on continuously for more than a couple months.

Generally speaking I've used it consistently with running. I'm beginning to think this has been a major mistake. I've been studying the latest medical information on this stuff and it is bad news. I'm not even sure it enhances performance except maybe mentally.

Anyway I'm staying away from the stuff now. I'd like to here everyone elses experiances with this substance if you all have any.

p.s. let's try to keep this thread scientific, empirical, and experiance based, and keep the ethical and moralizing crap to a minimum.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search for my name and ephedrine and you'll see what I think about it. I'll be trying it again about the same time I decide to give Kavorkian a call...

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see ephedrine as more thermogenic than ergogenic, especially when combined with caffeine. Unless you are afflicted with some severe nasal congestion, I don't think I'd bother with it.
RangerG
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it, and it made me very jittery and I could not sleep right. It also exacerbates depression. I found weight lifting and running without it was much more fun, and I still lost weight Very Happy I run to get rid of the depression, so I do not want to take somthing that makes it worse Confused If you have been taking that stuff, could it be that was why you were so bummed? The strong brand name stuff can depress the heck outa ya if you are bummed about somthing Sad Trust me...I know!!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it made me very jittery

Ditto.

Dan
waterman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: ephedrine Reply with quote

I have had many years experience with it and have only run into side effects when :
1. Not enough food on board
2. Overdose (big NONO)
3. mix with other supplements which amplify the effects.
4. Already sleep deprived - hence the jitters I felt.

I think, like most anything, if used in moderation can enhance a "slow" day or a sluggish start.

I am in the medical field and have noticed through some(not a whole bunch( thats in between 5 and 5 milllion Smile)) research that most of the people that have near fatal or fatal side effects have some sort of history that would preclude them from using it either way..
I.E. " Large doses of MSG in lab rats has been known to cause cancer"
My answer is 2 fold--
1. Use in moderation( know what your using )
2. Try not to be a lab rat!!
DOC
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

My impression is that, being a somewhat homeopathic item, people tend to react to it in extremely different ways. I know some people who have taken ephedrine for extended periods of time and consider it no different than caffeine. Then there are those like Ranger and I who found the side effects unpleasant, and those who found them downright fatal...

Dan
jason
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i ran a race once after taking 2 mini-thins, i think they have effedrine?

i raced really fast that day, i never did it again, i felt a little guilty, cheating
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, ephedrine is banned by the IAAF (international competition)... I also didn't care for the ethical side of taking the stuff, but I didn't have too difficult a time justifying it, since it was at most countering the limited breathing I was having due to allergies. Neutral

Dan
Jafar
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input. I haven't touched it for 6 weeks now. I think it's bad news, myself. But then again I got to the point that I was having a hard time lifting or running without it.

And RangerG is correct, it amplifies any undesirable emotional crap one may have going on.

As far as performance goes, it does give a little boost for most people, but I don't think it has been worth it for me. If you are going to take drugs to help performance, why not throw this crap out and go for something that has been proven to work? (... EPO...) And doesn't kill an athlete a week.

I'm not endorsing that either, I'm just sayin'...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If as many people took EPO unpresribed as do ephedrine, you'd see a much higher fatality rate.

Dan
RangerG
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaun,

You can do it without the ephedrine! I wish I lived closer so that we could go running together. I love playing DI! Twisted Evil

Remember when you are in OCS (yes folks he got contracted) and things get tough...were here for ya! Very Happy

Now get the heck out there and run....NOW Jarhead! Move...Move...Move!!!! Laughing
baby t
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 5:25 am    Post subject: ephedrine bad Reply with quote

In Idaho you can get as an illegal drug and they throw rave parties. It is very dangerous especially for young athletes becuase it get there body moving too easy and they can easily die of sun stroke or a heart attack. At the rave paties in Idaho many teens die. I would highly suggest neve using the substance. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: