Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Mid-Distance Depot
1500 Training

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JR
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:44 am    Post subject: 1500 Training Reply with quote

Anyone here run under 4 for the 1500? If so could you tell me what type of training you have been doing and examples of some sessions. That should indicate whether i am in that sort of shape. My aim is to run a 3:55 1500 next year in my first year under 20's here in England. A few examples of some sessions i have done recently are:

1) 5 x 1000 (4min recovery)

1 - 2:53.8 2 - 2:54.1 3 - 2:53.2 4 - 2:56.5 5 - 2:49.8

2)1600 - 4.56 (4min recovery) 1200 - 3.36 (3min recovery) 1000 - 2.53 (2 min) 600 - 1.38 (1min) 400 - 57.9
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The people I've known and trained with that were between 3:50 and 4:10 for the 1500m (and the mile, even) trained pretty much the same as I did in the 4:30's, just faster. Following along that line of thinking, I don't see anything in the workouts you listed that indicates you are ready to run sub-4; more like 4:20 or 4:30, based on your typical training pace. Looks like you would be better prepared for a 3k or 5k at a good clip...

Dan
JR
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i ran 4.08 last year and am training much quicker than i ever have. Obviously those sessions didnt indicate my strengths as i am working on my weaknesses (the longer reps). Can you give me some examples of sessions done by sub 4 men then?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Obviously those sessions didnt indicate my strengths as i am working on my weaknesses (the longer reps).

Ok then, but hopefully you see that sharing those workouts with us provides us with nothing to comment on your original question... Wink

The key is pace. The specific workout isn't nearly as important as the pace you are training for. I know someone who went on to become a sub-4 miler (3:38 for 1500m) who 3 or 4 years before that (I don't think he was sub-4 for 1500 at the time) prepared for that level by running as many repeat 60 second 400's as he could, with the idea being that he would eventually become accustomed to the pace and string 4 of them together in a race. The simplicity of the approach is beautiful, and it really does work.

Mix up the intervals (200's, 400's, 600's, 800's, 1000's, 1200's), focus on 63-64 second 400m pace, and run workouts where your interval distance totals roughly 2 miles, and you ought to be just fine.

Dan
JR
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much. I'm sorry about that, just got my diary out and picked the last two hard sessions. I too train with world class runners (3.37-1500, 1:48-800, 13:19-5k) And have a coach who is excellent for me. I just wondered if anyone could give me some specific sessions (or workouts as you call them) that they have done so i could compare them to myself and see where i was at. I know every athlete is different but it would give me a pretty good idea.
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I too train with world class runners

If you are training with world class runner, why would you need advise from us??
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At my best I was around 4:00 for the 1500. Although I was training for 8-10k cross country races at the time. I ran about 90miles a week (around 140km) at alttitude over hilly terrain. I averaged about 6:20-5:20 per mile (3:56-3:18 per km), sometimes a little faster sometime a little slower. My interval workouts actually were fairly similar to what you listed in your first post. I don't know if this helps you but there you go.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR, where is Sussex in relation to London??

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
JR
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DG. I train with world class runners, but it doesnt really help me knowing that someone does k reps under 2:30 when he is running in the 3;30's for the 1500. There is no-one in my group who is running just under 4-minutes and can tell me when they know that they are in this shape. They can tell me when they know that they are in sub 4minute mile shape or women can tell me when she is in 8.50 shape for the 3k. This doesnt really help me does it? Sussex is about an hour away from London.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely those people were 4-flat 1500m runners at some point, though? They don't remember the workouts and performance indicators they were hitting at that time? What about your coach? If he's as good as you say, he should be able to tell you with excellent accuracy where you're at time-wise.

Dan
coachd
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to chime in with Dan on this...sounds like you're in a training group that holds their cards pretty close to the vest (an American expression for being secretive)...maybe they are threatened by your emerging talent--but more likely they want you to think there is some "secret" they haven't let you in on (which there isn't)...no excuse for your coach, however, he should be able to explain his philosophy and set out a clear progression of workouts that will help you meet your goals. If he is too busy with his "world class" athletes you need to find a new group and coach. it isn't going to do you any good to just hang around the fringe of this group and hope something rubs off simply because they are already very fast. Good luck.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being that close to London are you connected with Serpentine at all?? Echoing what coachd and Dan are saying, everyone is looking for that magic bullet that will enable their performances to improve dramatically while still training at the same intensity. It just doesn't exist. And there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the training that you are doing. As your training levels improve, your performances should follow.
Paul

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
JR
Lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason i know of serpentine is because of Frank Horwill who has something to do with Serpentine.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure there's a magic bullet I've been preaching it since I joined this board. Train a lot, train hard and you'll get faster. It just doesn't seem like magic while your working your tail off. Wink
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, a "magic bullet" is something where you just push a button and get instant gratification... Good ol' fashion hard work probably does not qualify. Smile

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: