Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
Sprinting 2003

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 10:35 pm    Post subject: Sprinting 2003 Reply with quote

Well as the clock moves forward into 2003 things are getting exciting and no races have been run yet ... So far ...

John Capel has returned (for good) and is in Florida training with Mike Holloway at the University of Florida ...

Dwain Chambers has announced that the 100 WR will be under assault next year by he, MOnty and Mo but that it will be he that garners it ...

Marion and Tim now an official item have also officially left Trevor Graham for an unknown Canadian coach - but have been seen and photographed with one Charlie Francis !!!

Justin Gatlin and Darrell Brown - arguably the worlds 2 most promising young sprinters - have turned pro ... Gatliln in the camp of one Trevor Graham ...

Mo and the sprinters from HSI will be participating during the indoor season with the goal of representing the US in the World indoor championships .... Where Dwain Chambers says he wants to win gold ... (told you big names would show indoors this year!!!)

All this and not a race has yet to be run !!!!!! Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Last edited by Conway on Mon Dec 23, 2002 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lot of new info ... where did you pick it all up? I haven't seen several of those tidbits before now.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just scanning the web this weekend ... USATF, IAAF, BBC, a few inocuous sites, a few message boards (with my own follow up of course) and a few emailis here and there ... But all statements are valid ... Capel is back and working out down in Florida with no plans to try football any further ... Chambers says his workouts are better than ever ... He's been back here in California with the Russian, is curently in Britain, and going to be heading back here to California after the holidays ... Mo and Drummond, Wade and Miller will be competing indoors with designs on the Worlds ... And of course Tim, Marion, Justin and Darrell's situations have all been multiply documented ....

I knew the sprinters would hit it big indoors this year .. Things are too tight amongst them ... And unlike distance runners, sprinters need to compete ... They just can't train forever ... they will need to gauge fitness, whether technical changes are working, etc. etc ... And I get the feeling that early supremacy will be on the line - trying to get that mental edge ...

I think this will be a very fast year for the 100 & 200 ... The 400 is still in the dark unless a few individuals return and/or return to previous forms ... But the 100 & 200 (given the major players stay healthy) should see outstanding times and depth - if not a new WR or two ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had seen mention of Capel being back in Florida training for track, but I was a bit surprised at the definitiveness of the statement, given his waffling to-date.

Any word on Tyree Washington coming back? He could certainly liven up a dismal event...

If all of the above holds true, this will be the most entertaining indoor season in years! The only other one that comes to mind is when Kipketer obliterated the 800m record twice in the rounds of the WC, taking off somewhere around 2 seconds (was it 1.5 or 2.5 total?) in the process.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it could certainly end up being the most exciting sprint season in mamny a year ... Mo's 60 record is 6.39 ... That could end up being broken if all the major players follow thru ...

No word on Tyree, but I am guessing that he should be back this year .. If not there would have been soem statement by Jim Bush I would gather ... Tyree wants to be number one and with MJ gone he definitely could do that ... Last year was a perfect year to be away with nothing major followed by 3 major years in a row ... And I wouldn't expect to see him indoors as the 400 is a hard race on small tracks and he is a fairly big sprinter ...

Capel could help lift the 200 out of the doldrums .. If he and Gatlin perform as they should they could pop a lot of sub 20's ... They could put pressure on everyone else to perform ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a few articles of note, the first a lengthy interview with Capel and Coach Holloway, and the second about Dwight Thomas going pro (very short):

http://runflorida.com/highschool/2003track/JohnCapelInterview/JohnCapelInterview.htm
http://www.gatorsports.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?Site=GS&Date=20030122&Category=GATORS&ArtNo=301220009&Ref=AR

I hadn't previously heard much from Capel other than his running performances, but I have to say, he doesn't sound any more stable mentally or in terms of maturity than Montgomery... At least it sounds like he's improved a lot in that area, which is a scary thought. Rolling Eyes

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capel has a very good coach ... Someone who will help him along ... Something Tim doesn't seem to have ... Capel's opening times are extremely good ... It appears he WILL be a major factor ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim also has a very good coach, it just isn't official... Confused

One thing I found odd about the interview was Capel going on and on about being counted out and no one believing he could do it after 2 years off. Who are all these people??? I don't recall ever hearing it whispered that he couldn't come back. Heck, everything I heard is that he would almost undoubtedly be a major shot in the arm to the ailing 200m.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is possibly one of the most important statements in the whole article on sprinting:
Quote:
He’s the type of guy who wants to who wants to get to top speed in two steps. That’s not humanly possible. If you’re a guy like that, you spend so much energy getting to top speed that you have nothing left to use at the end of a race. Race distribution may sound a little silly when we’re talking about the 100m, but it’s huge. It really is.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very important idea there, but the rest of the statement contained a very contradictory thought, that being that Capel is as good as anyone over the last 40m. Doesn't fit too well with the theory that he tries too hard at the start and has nothing left to give at the end as a result... I think mid-race (acceleration) efficiency would have been a better point to make that energy expenditure.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with that. I was looking at the statement as a general sprinting technical point than in its context concerning Capel. As to the bulk of the interview, I guess I just don't relate to how these athletes think. The reference to TM was accurate. I will be watching the indoor season with renewed interest.

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try not to bring up religion here (my motto is, I won't force my non-beliefs on you if you don't force your beliefs on me), but I was very bothered by how much Capel went on about it and how he keeps getting more chances to do right and is so blessed, etc. I just can't see statements like that as anything other than an excuse for not being accountable for your own actions... Take a pick of your favorite 2-word combos to describe it: blind luck, unbelieveable talent, a waste (hopefully not). If the interview is an accurate assessment of John Capel on and off the track (training, nutrition, preparation, consistency), he has yet to do a single thing right in the sport! I'd say he's more than used up 9 lives worth of good karma... At least he admitted he had an attitude problem in football. I enjoy watching him run, but I'm less than impressed with the person, at this point.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I think Capel mirrors most athletes (and celebreties) ... As good as they are at what they do, often the rest of their "person" is pretty incomplete ...

The scariest thing is that he HAS made so many mistakes in the sport ... If He gets it right WOW !!! Imagine 19.85 on a Burger King diet ... And while he may want to get to top speed quickly his strength has always been in the last half of the race... He could dominate this season ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the talent is undeniable. It's just not a shame it wasn't provided to someone a bit more deserving... I think Holloway's hesitation to take him back in was telling in that regard. As a coach, it's much more frustrating to see talent wasted than it is as a spectator...

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the Holloway portion of the interview was much more interesting. What is the general consensus of Holloway as a sprint coach??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: