Training Talk
Long Runs w/hills followed by Speed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As suspected, those are different definitions of the A, B, and C skips then the two variations I've seen...

I like the A and C ones, but I'm very much not in favor of the B skip, as described by McFarlane. I've seen it and similar drills performed quite a bit, and I believe it teaches and reinforces bad habits. The idea to work on the pawing/clawing motion is good, but the key to clawing properly is to not lead with the lower leg. No matter how much you try to lead with your knee, your foot will always swing out in front of it to some degree. Since it will happen naturally on its own, my belief is that drills should always work on eliminating any extra of that motion.

Dan
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The B skip is good for triple jumpers as it can (when done correctly) mimic the action in the skip phase of the jump.

I believe it is good for distance runners because it takes quite a bit of coordination that many of my distance runners lack. It can (as all skips when done correctly) improve a runners efficancy.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It can (as all skips when done correctly) improve a runners efficancy.

That's the part I disagree with. Even when done properly, I believe it teaches inefficient mechanics.

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to see a distance runner with the cordination to do B skips well. It takes a good bit of work usually to even get them doing them correctly. Although I do have my team do both A and B skips as part of their warm ups for interval workouts along with high knees and butt kicks.
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That's the part I disagree with. Even when done properly, I believe it teaches inefficient mechanics.

Are you talking about running mechanics?? Lower Body I presume??

I haven't seen where B skips change the stride of a runner making them less efficient. I have seen it improve the coordination of some very uncoordinated runners and thus improve their stride.

It is not a natural movement (like running is) and so it is more useful to hurdlers and Triple Jumpers, who are performing un-natural movements.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you talking about running mechanics?? Lower Body I presume??

Yes and yes.

My objection is not to the coordination building aspect. The efficiency the drill is supposedly building -- the all important clawing motion (negative foot speed, which is as important to the distances as it is to the sprints) -- is a very unnatural one for most people. The tendency is to lead with the foot (which is considered impossible not to do to at least some extent), thus creating a breaking force. Because it is so difficult not to do this, every measure possible should be taken to counter those tendencies. That's where the drill in question falls short... By flinging the foot forward, even if it isn't being emphasized, you're allowing a lazy tendency to remain in the equation. Tough to ever break the habit if you continue to practice it...

Furthermore, I don't see anything about that drill that cannot be accomplished through different drills that do not add in the counter-productive component.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!! Thank you for all that. I will assume that you do not do any skips for lateral distance, that is covered by the bounding work??

Paul

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several of my kids like a type of side stepping drill call Kareokey's (sp?). It's something that is often done by football players and I've seen hurdlers do it quite a bit too.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that to work the abductors and adductors, muscles not normally attacked in the standard running motion??

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think so. I know it's very good for waking up the glutes and hip flexors before an interval workouts.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Several of my kids like a type of side stepping drill call Kareokey's (sp?)

I don't think anyone fully knows what that drill is for, but it's easy to do, is kinda fun, has some conditioning aspect if you do enough, and would seem to work some lesser used muscle groups.

Quote:
A's: High knee lifts while the toe of the lifted leg is pointing up.

This is nitpicking a bit, but the toe should always be pointed up when doing drills. Factor that out of the equation and the A Skip becomes basically a high knee and/or skipping exercise...

"Toes up/ankle cocked" is one of the bigger things I learned from Seagrave. Prior to that, I viewed toe running as a spring board -- waiting to bounce back when loaded. It took me a bit to grasp the new way of looking at it, which is more of a mouse trap, I suppose -- pre-loaded and ready to strike (the ground). Generates much more force into the ground and is a slightly shorter lever arm to pull through below the body after the recovery phase, but it is much more challenging to remain aware of.

Dan
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Several of my kids like a type of side stepping drill call Kareokey's (sp?).

Paul- That is the drill I call Tightrope. But I add a variation where the lead leg comes up higher.
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the A Skip becomes basically a high knee and/or skipping exercise...

I separate High Knees and A Skips. When athletes perform A skips they are improving their stride through practice, increased flexability and rythm. True High Knees do not work on the rythm aspect.

The skipping motion also initiates the tantric movement within the muscles that promotes speed aquisition.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: