Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
Things are gettin' interesting in NC!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there have been reports that the couple were on their way to MOnaco to tak to the IAAF and then back off ... Also that while Tim has been seen on the track with Francis this week, Marion is now refusing to be seen with him ... They are supposed to be making some kind of statement here in the next couple of days ...

I say she leaves Tim before seasons end ... ANd then goes and plays basketball .. Wink
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thing this is all being recorded for prosperity, because it will make a great soap opera or made for TV special.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think Conway was kidding about the basketball. Women's pro ball is not doing that well. In fact Portland's team, the Fire, have shut down operations. But the relationship between Tim and Marion seems too volatile to last. I think that prediction will be right on the money.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fire shut down? I guess now David Stern has even more reason to be upset with Paul Allen for not backing the team...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was kidding about teh WNBA, but looks like phase one of the other prediction could be under way ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/athletics/2729181.stm

Try that link ... Marion (at the extreme urging of one Nike) is leaving Francis ... We will have to see what Tim decides to do and how it will affect their relationship ... I say Tim wants Mo more than he wants Marion so he stays with Francis ... Any takers ???
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, you're on a roll with the bold predictions! I almost think you might be right, seeing as how Marion will probably dump Tim as soon as his reputation gets too hot to handle, a la CJ. Of course, Tim may not be bright enough to recognize that yet...

Something tells me Tim isn't a highly marketable WR holder -- at least not yet -- so he may bank on not having as much to lose as he does to gain. Marion on the other hand is the media darling and obviously has a lot at stake.

I'm most curious about what she'll do next. Will she go back to Graham and try to mend a gaping hole in that fence, or will she seek out one of the "hundreds of good coaches" in the US? It'll have to be someone good, otherwise this whole ordeal will look very wasteful in hindsight. But will someone that good risk getting involved?

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puts Tim in a no win situation ... Highly unlikely that Marion goes back to Graham as she basically said in leaving that he couldn't get the job done ... Means she would have to look elsewhere and leave the area .. That means Tim is torn between leaving and staying ... He follows Marion he basically has to leave Francis ... Leave Francis lose to Mo (gonna do that anyway) ... Stay with Francis lose Marion (gonna do that in time anyway too) ... Course the big thing will be that if he stays with Francis he can no longer borrow Marion's shoes OR use her blcok settings (which have lead to his two fastest races!!) ... Tim is in deep stuff folks ...
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, how about this. Marion moves to Florida and sets up house with Capel.

What I really find interesting about all these articles, the BBC, etc. , is that no one is approaching the fundamental problem of "what do I have to do to get faster?" Everything is being written from the appearance and political standpoint. It would interesting to see if Marion held her ground with Nike and said "kiss my a--, I'll find someone else". I wonder if Nike would back down.

And do you think the rest of the world is really just concerned that maybe the 2 of them may put distance between themselves and the competition.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit surprised as big a deal of it has been made as has been the case. I still think most of the controversy could have been avoided by saying up front Marion's reasons for seeking Francis' technical expertise, but now we'll never know...

Doubtful Nike would back down now that things have caught the media's attention.

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more articles:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2003/02/06/sports1707EST0430.DTL

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=sportsNews&storyID=2179268

http://www.canoe.ca/TorontoSports/ts.ts-02-06-0090.html

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good articles, actually. It even appears Charlie carries no chip on his shoulder over the whole mess, but that could just be public relations. Interesting comments by Tie Domi, too.

I noticed the prices on the ebooks had risen when I was at the CF site yesterday. Training For Speed is up to 29.99. Heck, I bought the hard copy for $35 from Steve Bennett and that included shipping!!

I'm upping my offer for any takers listed earlier and you can include Pierre Jean in that list, too.

Paul

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to think this whole thing is actually the best Francis could have asked for after all these years. Sure, coaching Marion and Tim would have been icing on the cake, but look at all the notoriety he has gained. I bet he sells more books and videos through the spring than he has the past 5 years combined!

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, figured notoriety was boosting sales. Plus, if you spend any time going through the CF Forum, they are discussing CFTS right online, just about clearing up any questions one may have. There appears to be some serious coaches on that board.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I noticed that. I really need to spend more time scouring that forum. Too bad none of them seem to say who they are...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the fundamental question of how do I get faster is one folks are afraid to breech ... We're not talkinga about 10.20 and 11.00 swprinters here ... We are talking about athletes seemingly at the peak of performance ... Where do you go from here and how to get there are dicey questions ... It would seem that the improvement would have to be physical as opposed to technical ... At least to the naked eye ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: