Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
100m 2003 WCh Predictions

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TopicHunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:11 pm    Post subject: 100m 2003 WCh Predictions Reply with quote

What are your predictions?Mine are as follows:
Men:
100m Final
Gold:MO Greene(USA)9.63s(WR)
Silver:Tim Montgo(USA)9.75s(PB)
Bronze:Dwain Chambers(GBR)9.77s(NR)
Women:
100m Final
Gold:Marion Jones(USA)10.76s(WL)
Silver:Zhanna P-Block(UKR)10.80s(NR)
Bronze:Ekaterina Thanou(GRE)10.82s(NR)
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add about two-tenths to each of those times Wink and they look pretty sound, although if Greene wins, it likely will not be by that large a margin.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm ... I like the order, but as Dan said i think the times are a bit off ... I would think Greene may get the record there but not by that much .. Let's try

1. Greene 9.74
2. Montomery 9.81
3. Chambers 9.85

1. Jones 10.80
2. P-Block 10.81
3. Thanou 10.83
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You see both races being that fast through 3? I can see one or two people busting a fast time, but top 3 in each seems like a stretch to me. I would guess 3rd place will be more on the order of 9.92 and 10.98, respectively.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but look at who we are talking about for third ... Two European Chamions wiht very fast PRs ... Normally I might agree with you, but Thanou trains for championships .. Her third in 99 was 10.83 ... And Chambers went 9.87 behind Mongomery's WR and has been known in the past for setting PRs behind Greene ... Wink
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main difference I see is on the women's side, where a couple of years ago Marion was dragging people to very fast times. Now a 10.90 has a pretty good chance of beating her. For the men, the top 3 have had their share of inconsistencies of late, so I'd be surprised to see all 3 that "on" the same day...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the men's side I would say that this upcoming season will be totally different than last year ... There will be a Wrold Chamionship on hte line ... As such there will be a definite focus to the season and training will focus on that ... All should be at there best for the big show ... I will even wager that there will be fewer confrontations between them than in past years ... More laying low and avoiding ... There will be enough meets for them to "test" themselves without head to heads ... Look for a lot of low key meets to have major stars competing ...

On the women's side you are right Marion is no longer pulling anyone to their times ... They are pushing her to hers ... Marion lost on the lean in 01 and will be lucky to win on the lean in 02 ...
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 11:45 am    Post subject: 100m 2003 WCh Predictions Reply with quote

Yeah I also like those predictions,but those times.I was thinking more along the lines of :
100m Men's Final:
Gold:MO Greene 9.67s(WR)
Silver:Tim Montgo 9.76s(PB)
Bronze:Dwain Chambers 9.79s(NR)

Women's Final:
Gold:Marion Jones 10.82s(WL)
Silver:Z.P-Block 10.84s(SB)
Bronze:D.Fegurson 10.92s(PB)
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing just struck me as odd above -- no mention of Tayna Lawrence. I figure her a favorite for Silver and a possible upset darkhorse.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mention Tanya for a medal because in most big meet situations medals do ont go to fast starters without a finish ... As I see the race going in the 10.80s I don't see her in the top 3 ... Now if the race goes in the 90s then she may have a shot for a bronze ... But 10.8x is out of her range just yet ... At least in my opinion ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm going partly on the assumption that she will have gotten stronger over the winter. If I'm not mistaken (and I haven't seen this confirmed anywhere) she was only 19 last year and very raw. I think she improved more than anyone as the season went on and was becoming a fairly consistent sub-11 runner, which means top 2 or 3 in the world most years.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Her problem is that there are 3 solid championshps runners on the women's side - Jones, P-Block and Thanou ... and that doesn't include the looming specter of Ottey ... She is but one of many who would be ... Quick starts just have problems in big meets ... they tend to hesitate so as not to get the false start ... And if they get one they are sunk ... And even when they get a good one the finishers are alwalys hyped in the big ones and are hard to hold off ... Tenseness usually kills em ... Can you tell me the last fast starter to medal in a major outside of Ben Johnson ???
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my predictions

1) Mo 9.89
2) Chambers 9.93
3) Fredricks 9.95

Women
1) Marion 10.92
2) P-Block 10.94
3) Williams 11.03
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... Not many examples spring to mind, but I can't really think of many fast starters that are also among the top overall runners, so that would skew things a bit. Perhaps Ato, but I don't think he's a significantly faster than average starter. Drummond is never quite a top-3 contender to start with... Another flawed question??? Wink

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Devers? For some reason I rember her getting out and hanging on in at least one of her gold medal 100m races. Although my memory could be wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: