Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Football Running

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 1999 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son who is 12 has started football but is experienceing alot of pain in his ankles while running. He also has alot of trouble with distance and speed, he is usually lapped by the other players and is alway's the last guy in. I have noticed that when he runs he comes down hard on his heels (hench the ankle pain), I read your toe running tips and wonder A) Is it a good technique for football? B) How can I teach a 12 year old to run like this? Any help you could give me who be greatly appreciated.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Sherrie']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 1999 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sherrie,

First, I would definitely say toe-running (or at least mid-foot striking) is very beneficial for a sport like football, which depends a lot on speed and quick cutting.

A few things you can get him to work on that might help: Get him in the habit of standing on his toes when he's not doing other things. For instance, if I'm standing in line, washing dishes, waiting for food in the microwave, etc., I almost always stand slightly on my toes (sometimes raising and lowering) without hardly thinking about it. This helps develop the calf and lower leg strength necessary to toe-run efficiently and without injury. Another thing to try is getting him to rotate his torso forward when he runs. When you heel strike, you are probably leaning back slightly, which causes a braking motion. Braking = impact = bad! Smile If you make a conscious effort to lean forward slightly, it will be nearly impossible not to land on your toes. Of course, don't exaggerate the motion, just do it to get a feel for the mechanics.

Short of that, it might be worth checking with a podiatrist to make sure there's not a structural explanation to the ankle pain.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: