Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Recovery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff Shelton
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 1999 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently running about 40 miles per week in prep for 5K races. I have fartlek, hill and distance incorporated in that mileage. Do you think it is to early to start training twice a day? Slowly incorporate some "junk" miles in for a second run? If so, how many times a week? I am somewhat new at this, any help would be appreciated!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 1999 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeff,

Your mileage is about what I tend to average, although 5k is on the longer range of the distance spectrum for me. Smile It seemed to me that somewhere between 40 and 50 a week it helps to mix in one to three morning runs. Otherwise, the main sessions start to become rather long relative to the weekly total and the race you're preparing for. The main thing would be to ease into the morning running, probably just adding one day a week at first. The junk miles feel like you could go for ever at first, but after a week or two I've found that they catch up with you in terms of fatigue!

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jeff Shelton
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 1999 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When mixing in these second runs a day, should it be on my 'training day' or my recovery days (slower runs)? How much time should I give myself during the day before my second run? Thanks
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 1999 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would tend to add the morning run to an easy day. If you look at is as recovery (getting the blood flowing to muscles and loosening up), it is sort of supplementing the easy day. Of course, some people prefer the extra run on a hard workout day. I suppose this is fine, unless it's taking away from the quality of your main workout. Personal preference is pretty much what it comes down to.

One thing that I did for a while that worked pretty well was morning hill sprints on the bike. I did this on hard workout days (virtually no impact, and uses different muscles) and lifted the mornings of easy workouts.

Any time I'm on a two-a-day schedule, I do it something like 6 or 7am and 4pm.

Hope that helps,
Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: