Footlocker 2002

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How many Rowing and La Cross (sp) teams do you see in the West??

A fair number, actually. The three colleges I've been associated with have had one or both sports.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had thought about those but too me at least (someone who's never actually seen a game of la cross played or seen an individual rowing) they seemed like such minor sports that they could hardly merit considering in terms of a draw away from running. But I do suppose that add that onto the higher hockey and soccer draw of athletes and it could explain a good portion of the difference between east and west.

One thing I do tend to disagree with is that football is bigger back east than out west. I tend to think that football is football some places are a little more rabid (Texas) than others. But I've lived in a state that's about as poor at football as any, New Mexico, and I've lived in a state that is supposed to be better than most at football , Nebraska, (although we obviously are having a down year, I'm applying to be the new secondary coach for big red, 5 mile runs as a staple of DB training, I'll start a revolution Wink ) and the percentage of kids at local high schools that go out for football is pretty much the same. Although I will admit my observations of two states without taking any hard data hardly counts as a reliable field study.
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest difference is space. There is a huge population difference but most of the people live in big cities which probably makes it hard to run (long distance) so they don't draw on their population. I wonder how many inner city schools even have Cross Country??

From my school we have 10 or so runs we can go on without going over pavement for more than 2 miles. I would imagine that most big city XC teams would have to be bussed out almost every day to train.

Now I don't know about Saratoga Springs (location) but if you look at the Woodlands (TX) they have a BIG school on the outer limits of Houston. I don't think they have to deal with inner city running.
coachd
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 10:25 am    Post subject: Solinsky vs. Ritz Reply with quote

On the subject of Solinsky being the favorite at Footlocker. I've seen a number of posts on other boards talking up Solinsky as being better than Ritz...what do you think Hammer? Not easy (or wise) to compare times from XC--courses change in speed from year to year (day to day?)...but Ritz ran 14:35 at Kenosha in 2000. Let's see Solinsky make a worlds team and finish in the top five, then we can talk about comparisons.
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that Solinsky is the clear cut favorite anyway and he doesn't have to run against Webb. Bobby Curtis and Jespersen (OR my choice to win the West) are both going to be tough. I personally would put all three in the same class a Ryan Hall (which is still pretty tough) but not in the class of Ritz.

I'll wait till after this weekend to predict the finals. I still want to see how well Yong-Sung Leal runs coming off of being injured.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's two sites of the West Regionals:

http://west.footlockercc.com/

http://www.dyestat.com./3us/2xc/footlocker/west/index.htm
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Footlocker finals must be one heck of a race. With the top eight from each region, everyone is within a few seconds of each other. There seems to be no room for any slipups along the way.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew, that was a tight race. I think it's pretty cool there was a Moe and a Poe near the front of the same race. Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and a Zoe in the other race!! Smile Thumbs Up
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, but I'm assuming that doesn't rhyme. Smile What is she, like 4' tall? She looks tiny, but very muscular, which is rather odd for a young (sophomore?) female runner.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see the picture of Zoe and Poe standing together (sorry, couldn't help myself) ?? Either she's seriously under 5' or he's 6'6"+ !!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see that picture. My observation was based on the picture of just her on the Dyestat page. Nothing really to get a sense of scale by, but she appears super compact. Even with a good amount of muscle, she probably doesn't way 80 pounds... She's listed as from Flathead, MT, but anyone know which high school? I'm guessing Kalispell, which has cranked out some awesome boys teams the past couple of years. One of the female sprinters I coached the past 3 years went there.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went back and reviewed Hammer's post on Sage vs Ritz. I hope history doesn't repeat itself, since Jespersen stated that he was running just to qualify.

Paul
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul- The main difference between the 2 situations was the fact that Sage had an off or idle week between regionals and Nationals. Jespersen doesn't have that luxury. In the West regional no one seemed to want to win the race. The pack stayed pretty close throughout and no one really made any surges. Maybe a lot of runners were looking past the regional.
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAMMER'S BOYS PREDICTIONS:

1. Chris Solinski, Midwest
2. Bobby Curtis, South
3. Nef Araia, Midwest
4. Lauren Jesperson, West
5. Galen Rupp, West
6. Matt Debole, South
7. Tim Nelson, West
8. Ryan Deak, South
9. Mike Poe, West
10. Steve Hassen, South
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: