Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Distance Den
A glimmer of hope?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 5:21 pm    Post subject: A glimmer of hope? Reply with quote

This morning Jorge Torres won the NCAA cross country championships. Big deal? Possibly Jorge is only the second American-born athlete to win the race in the last decade. The other of coarse being Adam Goucher also of CU. Many people, myself included, have been thinking Torres' teammate Dathan Ritzenhein will be the next American to contend with the top runners in the world. But it could be that Torres will beat him to the punch.

This may not have the impact of Webb's 3:53 but it is yet another sign that America is improving in the distance running world. Who knows what the future will hold. Now if we can just get these guys to do something beyond high school and college...
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I share your enthusiasm but we must wait for TRACK and see those times before we get too caried away.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am impressed with Jorge Torres (and his brother). I believe he has now finished 3rd, 2nd, and 1st at NCAAs? If he had a less non-American sounding name, I'm sure we would have had endless hype about him as the next American hope 6 or so years ago... Of course, it doesn't help that the Illinois HS federation basically didn't allow him to race after his sophomore year, as I recall. He's been tearing it up for years now with only marginal respect.

At the same time, I have to ask what happened to the Kenyan contingent? Kimani, Boaz, and the new BYU guy with the hamstring strain. Seems they dropped off the face of the earth at NCAAs...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They probably just had a bad day. At nationals where everyone is geared up and there are more really good runnners than almost every runner is used to facing every little thing gets magnified. Torres has been running better than any one in the country all year so the fact that he won is not a big surprise. But I also was a little surprised to see both those guys (especially Kimani since he's run well at every other national meet he's been in) finish outside the top 6, although with the exception of Mark Tucker form Butler (who I've never heard of before) I know all the guys that beat Boaz are studs.[/b]
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was expecting more from Slattery, and Ryan Hall was, what, 6th man for Stanford??
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pleased with the ladies race. My Notre Dame Fighting Irish finished 3rd.

Mollie Defrancisco (a former college team mate of the daughter) finished 30th which was a little dissapointing. But it will be interesting to see if she continues her success in the steeplechase this spring. I will make the bold prediction that she will make the WC team!
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I missed something somewhere but where in the world is AMBER TROTTER (last years footlocker champ)??? I know when she left HS she wanted to go to Middlebury (D3) but I can't find any results for her.
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found Tim Moore (boys footlocker champ 2001) @ 63rd I don't know if that was more disapointing than Ryan Hall's finish.

I was real pleased with Donald Sage (6th) considering that he is a miler he is running much better at XC than Jennings did. My glimmer of hope may be with Sage.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if Trotter ended up running or not. There was talk that she might join the team late season, but I never heard that that actually took place. Didn't sound like she was terribly keen on running in college, thus the decision not to go DI.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About Slattery, I think I read on the CU website (or possibly somewhere else) that he had mono and that he really ran gutsy just to run as well as he did.
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that Trotter made her college choice based on academics and that she was injured during her senior Track season but that's about all I knew. If she decides not to run at all; that would end up being a great loss to the US running community. She destroyed a solid field (and course) @ last years Footlocker Championships.
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you all think of Chris Solinski after winning Footlocker? He ran the 3rd (tied with Adam Goucher) fastest time in the final @ Balboa Park. Balboa Park has hosted the event 18 times.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't actually seen his race so I don't know about anything other than times but the kid looks pretty good (duh he's a Footlocker Champ). I'd just tell Stanford to watch out for Wisc. next year you add Solinski to team that got second at nationals while red shirting Josh Spiker and they should be tough.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wisconsin's recent history seems to be to redshirt major frosh talent, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him sit out a year. Of course, they may also be looking to load everyone up at once...

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of Footlocker champs is it just me or is Zoe Nelson really a mini-me verson of Suzy Hamilton?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: