Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Open Mic Night
Been a long time

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, if coachd shows up soon, this will be a family reunion!

I believe Janet Trujillo is also from New Mexico? I would think she'd rank 2nd best of that group, barring any other NM natives I don't know about.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janet Trijillo that name sounds really familiar but I can't place it. When was she a NM HS prep?

Other really good NM tracksters I can think of are Kevin Dawbson (sp?) 7' 2 1/2" high jumper who ended up going to Georgia Tech. Mario Setangia (sp?) who was a top notch pole vaulter and I think turned into a very good multi eventer in college and beyond. And Bobby Newcomb who was a top notch sprinter and long jumper he went on to play football for Nebraska and I think was cut by the Arizona Cardnials last year. He was reputed to be a 10.2 100m runner, although I think coachd put it best when he told me "I've seen 10.2 100m runners, I know 10.2 100m runners, and he is no 10.2 100m runner." Although I think he was 10.3 and change at the state meet which is nothing to sneeze at.

And of coarse there are many elite athletes live and train in Albuquerque much of the year.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that this year is a good year for NM at least it has been in X-C. They have the nationally ranked 8th mens team (Albuquerque Academy) and 5th ranked womens team (Los Alamos). Which as far as I know is as good as any NM teams have been ranked since the year Brandon Leslie lead Gallup High to a national #1 ranking.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Trujillo was the same year as Krummenacker.

7+ feet for a HS high jumper is pretty darn good for any state!

And despite all my sneezing this evening from sanding and foul carpet disposal, those XC national rankings are indeed nothing to sneeze at. Thumbs Up

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janet Trujillo Graduated from one of the Albuquerque High Schools (Eldorado) she also played basketball for that team I don't believe she lost a game in the 4 years she played. There coach is now the Women's coach at UNM.

DG is correct in stating that our distance runners are much better than our sprints and throws and that the high jump is our best field event. Looking at the state's population of just over 1million we have produced a pretty good stock of HS XC runner.

NM track and XC times (distance) are usually pretty slow. The state track meet is run @ +-5000ft and the state XC race is run @+-7000ft in elevation.
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DG- thanks for the kind words. The older I get the better those stories about my races seem to get.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammer wrote:

NM track and XC times (distance) are usually pretty slow. The state track meet is run @ +-5000ft and the state XC race is run @+-7000ft in elevation.

Wow ... Wish I could have run my state meet there !!! I could have gotten under 21.0 !!! Well if you ever decide to try to recruit from this area let me know and I will tell you what I can ...
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I think about it the NM state track meet would be a nice place for fast sprint times if we were a descent sprint state. The altitude, and the fact that it's always hot as all get out seem perfect for running fast times. Which makes our times seem even more sad. I did a little research and it turns out that the NM state records aren't very quick, I misspoke when I talked about Bobby Newcomb, he holds the state record but only at 10.50 and the fastest 200 is 21.20. From what I gather those aren't particularly impressive by on a national high school level.

The only state records we have that really jump out at me as being pretty good on a nation wide level are Krummenackers 1:51.73 800 record. We've also had a 219' Javelin thrower, Mario Setenga vaulted 17'01.5" and the 4:51 1600 and 10:32 3200 run by my old team mate Amy Swier. The impressive thing about that was she ran the 3200 just 40 minutes after missing the state record in the 800 by a few tenths (high 2:15 to a 2:15.32) which is astounding when you consider she could only go about low 66 to very high 65 range in the 400.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This goes back a few years but wasn't Tony Sandoval from NM? He was a world class marathoner in the late 70's who did like Bob Kempanen and left racing in his prime to go to med school. The last I heard he was a doctor and I think he was in NM.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it interesting that NM produces more distance runners than sprinters/hurdlers ... Records of 10.50 and 21.20 aren't bad relatively speaking ... You have some states like TExas, California and Floroida whose records are world class in nature, but NM's aren't too bad ... Problem is that those levels aren't touched yearly ...

but altitude and heat are much more conducive to sprint training / development than distance running ... Sounds like we need study done from there ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altitude is conducive to sprint racing and distance training, which fits what we're seeing in NM. Unless sprinters go there just to race (not likely among high schoolers), the environment wouldn't be likely to balance out the small population.

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually NM is a very good distance training base. It's often refered to as the best training location no bodies heard of. I'd venture to guess that Albuquerque is behind only Boulder, Eugene and Palo Alto for density of running talent in the US. It's over a mile high with imediate access to elevations of over 10,000 feet (the Sandia Mountians are right at the east side of the city) the humidity is low so the hot temps in the summer aren't as bad as they seem (as a matter of fact they had a much more tolerable summer than I did here in NE this year) and during the winter months Albuquerque and some where in South Africa are the only two places in the world where you can get altitude moderate weather (temps usually average highs in the mid 50's all winter long) and access to all the benefits a modern city has to offer. At least that's what the Itailian national marathoning coach told me when his athletes were working out at the gym I used to work at.

Some of the noteable distance runneres that have used Albuquerque as a major training base include Eddy Haulebeck, Elva Dreyer, Yobes Ondeki (Sp?, the first man to break 27 min in the 10k) Olga Appell, Nordiene Morcelli, Iberham Hussien (multiple time Boston marathon winner), Mbarak Hussien (Iberham's brother, think he's won the LA marathon), and most noteable of late Paula Radcliffe.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm ... I've alwayas felt just the opposite regarding sprint training ... Wihle it may not be all that beneficial for the 100 I think it would be be quite beneficial in the 200 and 400 ... In the longer races running into oxygen debt becomes more of a factor and traininign at altitude would stregnthen the lungs and help increase lung capacity just as in the distances - especially if training were properly utilized .... And training in hot conditions is much better for the muscles than training in cooler conditions ...
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you could be right... heck I'd love to see some upper level sprinters training (and possibly running a race or two) in Albquerque. Lets just call it the best kept secret training base for track and field in the US. The thing is no sprinters no the secret yet Surprised

The question now becomes, since we now know can we tell? Wink Wink
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think with sprinters they like training in the heat, but they are social creatures who like more urban areas ... Florida and California and south TExas seem to appeal because of climates and the nearness of big cities ... At least that is my take ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: