Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Heart Rate Montiors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff Shelton
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 1999 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was considering purchasing a heart rate monitor to effectively monitor my intesity of trianing, but wanted to get some feedback first. Any one have any? Are they worth the money?
Thanks
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 1999 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not the answer you're looking for, but my personal opinion is, why bother? I know when I'm working hard, I don't need a machine to tell me just how hard. Seems like it makes people too concerned with running at a certain level instead of just running. More often than not, your body will tell you what it thinks you ought to be doing.

Any other opinions?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 1999 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

I don't think HR montiors are the best thing in the world. If you do use them they should be used on easy days. They are good to keep your easy days easy. But on hard days so many thing can affect heart rate: heat, humidity, dehydration, hills etc. Instead on your hard days you should focus on pace. Understand that the different between a 4:50 mile and a 4:44 mile is in your mental determination. The difference probably won't show up on a heart monitor. You are not training just for you heart, but also for you legs to get used to a fast pace.

Also a thing about max heart rate. Don't rely just on the 220-age formula. This is a mean estimate of the population. You need to measure your own max heart rate by doing a series of sprints with short rest.

I do think that heart rate monitors are great for working out in the gym on exercise equipment to get a general idea of your work range. Also they are good if you are doing circuit weight training and you want to know if you heart rate is up.

One last thought on heart monitors. Upon talking to people who have used them in the past, we all tend to agree that you will lose your natural instinct in running. It is so easy to get trained by your heart monitor like a dog to a leash, that you forget that sometimes in a race you just need to DIG DOWN DEEP AND GO DAMN IT! Smile

T

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Tyrone Goldstein']
Jeff Shelton
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 1999 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree with what you are both saying after seeing your perspectives. I think it would serve as a good aid for my easy days.
How would you use it for gym workouts, cals. etc.?
Frank Sellors
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 1999 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a 55 year old runner I believe a pulse monitor could/will save my life.
At my age what I think I can do and what I can in reality achieve are somewhat different.
If I train for 30mins averaging 130bpm I recover well, but if I average 140 I feel decidedly off colour the following day. Maybe it's an age thing.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 1999 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Frank,

Those are very valid points. It's important to be aware of how your body is responding, regardless of age or fitness level. Sort of like admitting you're in denial. Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: