Back to Regular Page

Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Coaches Corner
Team Guru Indoor

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Coaches Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week we go to NU's home meet. It's a biggy. And it's great to run in the Duvany Center. A 200 meter hydrolic banked mondo track. It's awesome. They lower the track to be completly flat for the 60 dash and hurdles and then raise the banks for everything longer. The surfaces is really nice and after running on a flat hard 160 track you get on this 200m banked track and you can just fly. Not to mention the fact that they are tons of fast people there. Usually none of the big name distance schools come, but last year LSU, Florida, Florida State and I think South Carolina all brought athletes. So there are still plenty of darn fast athletes there. For example last year I entered my top 800 guy with a seed time in the high 1:53 range and he ended up in the 3rd of 6 heats Surprised .
It's a two day meet with the distance events and some field events on Firday and the rest of the events on Saturday. Which will lead to a lot of driving for us. It's really too expensive to stay the night so were taking vans friday driving back that night and then turning around and doing it all over again the next day. It's a 2+ hour drive one way and with me working thursday night and going on little sleep friday I really have to hope the kids do well or I'm going to be totally miserable.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck...and be careful behind the wheel. Don't want to hear about another college van accident. Now if Dan were driving... one hour tops!! Wink

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emphasis on "tops." Twisted Evil

The ironic thing is I could never shake my reputation with some members of the coaching staff as a slow driver. Just because I waited up for someone who got stuck at a light and didn't know where to go once we hit I-5...

Dan
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DG- How many heats of the 1500 or Mile do they run @ a meet that large?? Do they limit the amount of athletes you can enter in an event?
coachd
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this on the Horwill site. It's a workout that he says predicts acurately an athletes 1500 time.

1x400
(30 secs. rest)
1x800
(60 secs. rest)
1x300
(walk 400)

Repeat

Then figure the average of the total running time for the two segments to get an athletes predicted 1500 time.

So...Athlete A goes 80 secs. for the 400, 2:52 for the 800 and hits 60 for the 300....then repeats the sequence in 82, 2:50 and 58. Total time for the first sequence is 5:12 and for the second = 5:10...the average is 5:11. According to Horwill, this would be the athletes projected 1500 time.
Just thought this was interesting.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Total distance isn't too far off the 12x400 workout that I found to be a good 1500m predictor, although the Horwill workout changes up the rest a bit. With the 12x400's we did, it was sets of 4 with a 400m jog between sets and either a 100m or 200m jog (I can't remember) between intervals.

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammer wrote:
DG- How many heats of the 1500 or Mile do they run @ a meet that large?? Do they limit the amount of athletes you can enter in an event?

In this meet they only have two heats of the mile (actually two men and two women). It seems like this meet is a little smaller than last year. The only events that they limited entries was the 60 dash and 60 hurdles.

They have the heat sheets on the net if you want to check them out. It appears I need to learn how to lie better. Almost all of my athletes ended up in heats that were too slow for them and the only athlete that I got into a fast heat runs much better against compotition she can lead rather than athletes that are faster than she is. Embarassed Of coarse when they ask us to turn in seed times before anyone has run a race yet I suppose these things happen.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It appears I need to learn how to lie better. Almost all of my athletes ended up in heats that were too slow for them

Man, I hate that!

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone interested, here is the link that coachd is referring to: http://www.serpentine.org.uk/advice/coach/fh58.php

Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After spending a little time looking at the heat sheets I can't help but be disappointed. Last year this was primarily a D1 meet with a ton of good schools. This year it looks like besides Nebraska the only D1 is Tulsa (which is nice since the Tulsa field events coach was the sprints jumps coach here last year). Other than that it's just a bunch of D2, NAIA and JC schools. I was hoping to watch some of those D1 studs. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to watch them on TV like the rest of the country.
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1x400
(30 secs. rest)
1x800
(60 secs. rest)
1x300
(walk 400)

Repeat

I prefere workouts like these that mimic race situations. Coachd showed me a similar workout for 3 mile xc races.

800 @ mile
2miles @ 2-5 sec./miles slower than 5k
800 @ mile

I know a lot of people like doing repeat 400s for the mile but I believe that they would be better served by longer intervals. Once an athlete can run hard workouts for 3 X race distance they would probably improve their race time if they practiced holding the speed for a longer interval.

(note: these last couple of posts probably belong in TRAINING TALK)
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Man, I hate that!

No matter what level you are at it seems that issue of getting athletes in the best heats always comes up. In NM high School meets that I have been to coaches are blatantly rude about reporting times. Last year at a meet a coach reported that he had 2 runners @ 4.05 and 4.10 in the 1600m (our state record is 4.11) and neither of these runners even ran varsity in XC.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a meet organizer I would probably seed those guys as NA for times. If it was for selection to one of those all star meets I wouldn't even consider them. Because after all when it comes to coaching and seed times, theres lying and then theres LYING.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammer wrote:
Quote:
800 @ mile
2miles @ 2-5 sec./miles slower than 5k
800 @ mile

I like these combo type workouts. They teach your body things that regular intervals don't, like how to deal with uncomfortable situations. I can certainly see the need for short intervals for speed, but these combo workouts are superior to Daniels' cruise intervals, in my opinion (remember, this is a novice speaking here!). I could see, though, where too many of these could burn a runner out.

Hammer, is there a recovery split between the three runs, or do you go from one run right into the next??

Paul

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They teach your body things that regular intervals don't, like how to deal with uncomfortable situations.

Mmm, I can think of some pretty darn uncomfortable "regular" intervals! I believe I was just telling you about one (300's) on our run...

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Coaches Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: