Back to Regular Page

Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Shin Splints Exercises

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moomy
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Shin Splints Exercises Reply with quote

HI,

I have read the page on exercises for shin splints (http://run-down.com/injuries/shin_splints.php) and was just wondering, do I need to wait for the injury to heal fully, or partially, or can I start doing the exercises straight away?

Thanks.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to wait, in my experience. You ought to be able to perform as much resistance work as you can tolerate from a pain/discomfort standpoint. It should get less tender each time.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moomy, not sure if you'll see this. I hope you come back to the site to explore more content.

I do these ankle circles that Dan recommends literally, LITERALLY! before I head out for any run. I use the SPRI stretchy cords. This exercise warms up the whole foot and the achilles. I also roll my calf with "the stick" and stretch my lower extremities with the "pro stretch". Doesn't take much time, and I'm good to go. Simply put, I won't leave the house without doing these.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Paul, I've added these to my daily pre-run stretching routine. 10x each direction on both legs works very well as preventative maintenance. I never have to do more than that and haven't had shin soreness in years. But I'm very diligent about doing them every day.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: