Back to Regular Page

Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Mid-Distance Depot
Bolt vs Bekele over 700 meters?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eddd the Sailor
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Bolt vs Bekele over 700 meters?! Reply with quote

Well, I've heard rumors of this race from some of my running friends over the past few weeks, so tonight I decided to Google it... Usain Bolt vs. Kenenisa Bekele, the two greatest runners at sprints and distance, respectively... you guys may have heard about this, too, so, what do you think about it? What are the chances of this actually going down, and who do you want to see win? 700m seems like a pretty fair distance...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't happen, and even if it did, 700m is way too long. 500m would be about the extent of Bolt's range, I'm guessing.

Dan
Eddd the Sailor
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? Some say Bolt's best potential is at the 400, and I think he wants to run more of that in the future. He says he thinks he's fast up to 600m, plus, as long as he can stay anywhere close to Bekele with ~200 to go, he could surely kick him down.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all just talk/marketing/hype. Bolt has already said quite recently that the 400m is not in his plans. I'm also not in the camp that believes he can easily take down MJ's 400m record... MJ showed better speed endurance in his WR 200m than did Bolt in his, so even though Bolt has better acceleration and top end speed, his endurance does not bode well for carrying it over to the long sprint unless he trains diligently at it for several years, which he does not seem interested in.

And even if he could take down the 400m record, 700m is soooo far beyond the type of training he would be used to, Bekele would be catching him on that 2nd lap like Bolt were stuck in mud. A couple long interval workouts and he'd realize how little fun it sounds like.

Dan
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do believe 600 m would be the distance Wink
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
Eddd the Sailor
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish they had a 600m race in the Olympics or World Championships or some other big-time event... The eastern Africans dominate pretty well all the way down to the 800, but have nobody below that, and the Americans / Jamaicans / Nigerians / sprinting countries dominate all the way up to the 400, but have nobody above it. It would be cool to see them meet in the middle somewhere where they can race each other.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be curious to see which group actually favors the intermediate distance. My guess would be it would prove much more popular with the 800 runners.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeurr wrote:
I do believe 600 m would be the distance Wink

No,650m is the distance...Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: