FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Running with weights

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Running with weights Reply with quote

What do you all think about running intervals, and aerobic endurance sessions with weights such as leg weights, wasit weights, arm weights? I personally have a pair of ankle weights and wrist weights 5 ibs each that I run with, but instead I put the ankle weights around my waist or else it destroys my achillies tendons. Intervals of 400, 800, 200 are the kind I am talking about if they can be ran with weights at srpint pace, or instead, if for half of the interval session was run with weights, then no weights for the other half. Opinions?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fitmamma
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there-

I am a personal trainer, own a personal training studio and I am training for a marathon. I do not agree with mixing weights and cardio at all. I do my running seperate and my weights seperate in order to prevent injury. I became faster in my 10Ks by doing some great sprint workouts, great weight training, eating right and take great recovery supplements!
You could do some great full body workouts at home without weights and I use the ankle weights for some killer butt blasters but I would never run with them.

www.brookepaulin.com
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done weights before and it didn't help me much in running. The only thing it helped me in was heavier squats, leg press, heavier crunches, and endurance. As for my leg muscles being stronger I haven't noticed any changes such as pounding the ground. But with running weights it helped me in that particular area; running. As for injury, it is not possible if one uses the right amount of weight. The right weights for running are those you can run while with perfect technique & form. If movement is impared then the weights are too heavy, those cause injury. As for joints and ligaments, they become stronger as they adapt to the weights, until soon enough the muscles themselves will take care of all the weight and leave the rest to stamina.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you sound like a very fit and smart woman fitmomma...
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always get told by doctors and others to not run with weights. Even my dad came home one day and told me that a doctor told him that running with weights is not good. I have still been running with weights and now it seems like they are just becoming clothes on me when I run. I've also noticed a change in my muscles; they are way more defined and a little bulkier than before, but my favorite is that right now my chest and back got a lot wider. I do have blister marks around my wrists and ankles like I used to be a captive or something, but the skin thickened now. My calves now look a lot shorter now than before in length, and it just looks like a block of muscle under my skin in one spot. Last time I only had one side developed, but now I can see my calf muscles being split in two. All I can say is that it works for me. Yaks have monstrous legs from pulling those carriages. Endurance training on the muscles DOES get you size anyways, just a lot less and slower than regular HST training. Size is just on the outside, but how the muscles itself is trained is a totally different story.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: