Back to Regular Page

Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Mid-Distance Depot
nutritional guidance night before meet and day of

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trackmama
Lurker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: nutritional guidance night before meet and day of Reply with quote

My son (12) is a picky eater. Doesn't like fruit. He is a mid-distance runner (800m and 1500m), who also competes in the pentathlon (80m hurdles, 1500m, LJ, HJ, SP). Finding food to feed him the night before and the day of his competitions has been an ongoing dilemma for me. He will often eat nothing more than a jello, some sliced apples and drink some propel during his meets that last upwards of 6-8 hours. Even breakfasts on the morning of are tough. His coach says nothing heavy (like no bagels). So what do I serve him? I worry about his energy level and well-being. Is this an ok diet, or do you have some suggestions/tips about foods I can offer him. Remember he hates most fruits and won't snack on veggie sticks. Although he does like salad (lettuce and cucumbers only). I don't want him running to the restroom all day either. Any tips appreciated.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like he's getting by on a sugar high...

It's a bit ironic that he dislikes fruit but will eat apple slices during a meet. Apple is the one and only fruit that I do NOT recommend. Not before or during running, at least, as it tends to cause stomach cramps. Afterward is perfectly fine.

Some of the energy bars are fairly nutritious and could be added to his race-day diet for some balance. Nutrient guidelines are somewhat misleading in that you don't need all those items in your diet every meal, or even every day. Every other day is good in most cases. What that means for your son is that you don't have to worry so much about what he's eating during the meets, so long as he's getting good nutrition (i.e. steaks, potatoes, salads, steamed veggies, etc.) before and after.

Dan
trackmama
Lurker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: nutritional guidance night before meet and day of Reply with quote

So apples are a no-no. I'm in trouble now. I'll try nutrition bars. Is it ok though that he doesn't eat more during that time. I don't know how he has energy to compete on an empty stomach over the course of a 6+ hour day. Any suggestions for breakfasts? We usually have to eat around 6-ish.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's reasonably to eat light on meet day, as a heavy stomach leaves you sluggish and potentially facing digestive troubles. My only concern is that all he's eating is simple sugars, which leads to short energy spikes and lulls in between.

By the way, bagels are perfectly good for snacking on throughout the meet. Just have a few bites at a time for extended energy.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supplements are also very good for him to take. The ones that I reccomend the most are Nature's Made. http://www.naturemade.com/
It comes in all different types: Fish Gels, Potassium, Vitamin C, Magnesium, Lecithin, etc. It's like each one has it's own role. Potassium would be the good one for him because it will prevent side stitches and helps control the heart muscle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: