Back to Regular Page

Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
Marion Jones ... busted?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Marion Jones ... busted? Reply with quote

Article by Conway:

http://www.hellenicathletes.com/news.php?news_id=367

Dan
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jones story is nothing surprising, most people suspected she was on drugs, but due to her medal hauls and charisma she has like other stars before her who were busted thrust the problem of cheating into the public eye once again.

The problem is that the record books are riddled with dubious times and medalists who have a big question mark over their achievements that you despair for the fans who just don't know what to believe anymore and above all the athletes themselves, especially those who were denied the accolades they deserved and worked so hard for by these cheats and also for athletes who have achieved great performances but are also held under the microscope of suspicion because of the likes of jones, gatlin and ben johnson to name but a few.

The question is just where do you start in bringing this sport out of disrepute. It is a complete mess.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a dilemma for me, because I've never believed any of the top times to be clean... It is a level playing field, as far as I'm concerned.

Dan
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for curiosity sake what do people believe are the top "clean" times?

10.76 - Evelen Ashford?
200? -
400 - Perec? 48.25 Freeman? 48.63
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
It's not a dilemma for me, because I've never believed any of the top times to be clean... It is a level playing field, as far as I'm concerned.

Dan

It is a dilemma in my mind because we can't surely dismiss all the top times as suspect. The problem is we just don't know which ones and have to go with the ones set by athletes who did not test positive even if they subsequently did at a later date.

What's your take on an athlete like powell running 9.74 easing up. Just a phenomenal human being or a little more to it than that.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is a dilemma in my mind because we can't surely dismiss all the top times as suspect.

I don't see it that way. History keeps repeating itself, with top athletes claiming innocence right up until the end. I've heard enough stories from "inside" sources of athletes known to be cheating but officials looking the other way...

As for Powell, I consider him a great talent but one of the worst competitors ever. You can see the fear in his face before a big race.

Dan
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are a little inconsistent with your previous remarks. If you doubt all the other performances than you have to doubt powells performances as clean.

As for a level playing field, I don't know. I am sure there are elite athletes who continue to compete clean based on a reflection on society as a whole. Thankfully most of us stick to the straight and narrow otherwise life would be unbearable, although it does seem that this type of atitude of adhering to a moralistic way of life is gradually on the wane and that's also the case in track. the fight against drugs just isn't working on the whole.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You are a little inconsistent with your previous remarks. If you doubt all the other performances than you have to doubt powells performances as clean.

Not at all. I never said that I believe Powell to be clean, just that he's a great talent. Drugs alone don't make someone world class...

Quote:
I am sure there are elite athletes who continue to compete clean...

You're probably right, but I share Charlie Francis' opinion that you won't see any of them winning races.

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More trouble for Jones:

http://www.runblogrun.com/2008/01/jones_sentenced_to_six_months.html

Dan
fjs138
Lurker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tests for steroids dont always show who uses. some people have genetics that allow them to show up negative on certain tests, as their body lacks the marker that allows people to check the ratio of exogenous hormones vs natural.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: