Training Talk
Paul owes us a training update...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember not too long ago when you thought you were maxed on speed at about 7:30 for a mile!

Dan
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Nice looking workouts... As I finish up my own schedule hopefully I will get to it this week I will post it as well and see what kind of feedback you all can provide.

That 11 miler seems to be very close to some of the ones that I do as well so it snice to see that it works for others
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could go in either Paul's or my own "training" thread, but since Paul ran more, he gets the nod.

We did an interrupted long run today, mixing fast hills in after each 1.5 mile loop. I managed 4x (skipped one hill), for a little under 10 miles. Paul kept going for an extra loop, making for an 11-12 mile day. I ran for about 90 minutes (double my previous high for the past 13+ months, set just earlier this week), so Paul was probably 1:50.

Dan
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job by both of you!

My own weekend was curtailed a bit by the 100+ heat indexes here yuck

9 easy on Saturday say around 7:45 - 8 min pace

13 on Sunday broken up like this 3 EZ - 4 at slightly under avg 7:30 pace (7:23, 7:26, 7:14, 7:30 the last one up a fairly substantial hill) then an easy 3 miles with a friend slower than 8 min pace.. then 3 at a quicker pace last half mile close to 7 min pace followed by diagonal strides... all in all pretty good although I got started a bit late so it was not as long as I wanted.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I thought our run had a lot of variations to it... Nice job getting volume in despite the heat.

Dan
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah well it was helpful that I could get different loops in and get back to my car for hydration... Just getting it what I could based on the situation
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

60 minute challenge today -- how many 800m loops can be run in an hour. Paul was in the 15-16 loop target group and, believe it or not, completed loop #16 in 60:00!

3:52 7:47 (3:55) 11:37 (3:50) 15:25 (3:48) 19:12 (3:47) 23:00 (3:48) 26:42 (3:42) 30:27 (3:45) 34:16 (3:49) 38:07 (3:51) 41:56 (3:49) 45:44 (3:48) 49:32 (3:48) 53:10 (3:48) 56:40 (3:30) 60:00 (3:20)

Note the 6:50 last mile extended kick! The loop is more like 780-790m, but that's easily sub-7 to close it out.

Myself, I had timing/record keeping duties, so sadly I could not join in...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice workout... Mine have been a bit pulled back the last two days here on the East Coast the weather has been abyssmal... over 80 degrees before 5 AM here (supposed to be over 100 today with a heat index topping 110) - hot and sweating today after a mile... ugh got my 8 miles in the last two days though
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you're getting a heavy dose of the weather we dealt with last week. Fun!

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul ran a stellar 3k tonight in the first of the summer series of XC races. I conned him into targeting 6:30/12:15, so what's he do but run 6:32/12:03. Most of the group was 20 sec/mile slower than goal, largely due to the significant hills in mile 1 and 2, but Paul showed the true warrior he is. Thumbs Up

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "warrior" part is a real stretch... Rolling Eyes but,
This team of Dan's has been gracious enough to allow me into their ranks and Dan has been gracious to allow me to run and be involved, even to the point of assigning me tasks. This has been my best run of the year and we didn't taper for it one iota.
On the day of the 60 min challenge only 4 runners ran the whole thing without stopping; Dan's top 3 boys and myself. A fact that was not lost on Dan's top runner. Of course, those 3 came close to lapping me twice, but that's the nature of a tempo run.
AM Runner, I think you'd fit right in Dan's top group.

Paul

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Of course, those 3 came close to lapping me twice

Yeah, but they were short loops. Wink

Seriously, though, I think the group is getting just as much from you, in terms of learning toughness and focusing in on the game plan, as you are from them.

Dan
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it reminds me of the couple of times I have run with my brothers group (he also coaches) on one workout in particular I ran with his top group of girls a fartlek run with I think intervale of 3-2-1-2-3-2-1 or something lik ethat with the equivalent mintes rest and hard times. I luckily for me was running real well that day and pushed the pace the whole time - when it was over the girls admitted that as hard as it was it was good to have me there for the toughness part - that if they (there were 2 of them) had been running alone they may have not run as hard. There is a lot to be said for experience and how that plays out. I am sure that Dan's guys are learning a ton from you!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I killed Paul today. He doesn't want to run with us any more this week. Smile

We did the race pace hill workout from a few weeks ago, upping the number this time to 10-14x. Paul managed 11.5 miles total; I hit 8.

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3x a mile today, working on 19:30 pace, cutting down from 6:20 to 6:15. Paul ran:

96/3:12/4:45/6:17
95/3:13/4:47/6:16
91/3:07/4:40/6:04

and followed it up with 2x300 in 57, 56. With warmup, cool down, and recovery jogs, it totaled 10-11 miles.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: