Back to Regular Page

Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Open Mic Night
Garage sale find of all time?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to take a look under the hood this evening. Turns out there's a power switch on the back and a weird little rocker fuse thingie. I couldn't figure out any way to pull the fuse out, so I took the panel off the top of the tread and uncovered the motor and power board. Doesn't seem to be any way to remove that darn fuse... Anyway, I don't think that's it. The power board had the LEDs all lit up, so it presumably is receiving power just fine. While I was looking for clues, I decided to loosen the tread and try centering it a bit better (not much luck there). In the process, I discovered a sealed plastic pocket tucked in under the bottom end panel, very difficult to access. I tore it open and was surprised to see a 2 page voltage diagram and troubleshooting guide! It indicates a different model number, but it appears to be accurate info.

It appears all the power board functions are ok, based on the LED diagnostics. Moving on to the motor controller LEDs, I had a much harder time making them out with all the dust and oily crud in there. I tried blowing and wiping it away to read the markings, in the process touching the panel and getting a bit of a jolt... Oops. I found what appears to be the problem, although I don't know what exactly it means.

"D7 - Labelled SPD CTRL. It indicates a speed control signal is being received from the console. If this LED does not light, but D11 (+12V ... indicates the controller is outputting 12 VDC to the speed pot) does, it indicates a problem with the speed wire pot."

Great, so what's the speed wire pot? I don't see any such marking on the voltage diagram. Confused Paul, any ideas?

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to assume that the speed wire pot governs the load to the belt, analagous (is that the right word?) to the volume control on a radio. Electronic pots can control voltage, frequency, and level. I'm sure you know this already. There would have to be a lead of some kind from the control panel up on top to that board. I wonder if it got damaged, somehow. Congratulations on taking it apart! Those things can get complicated. Thumbs Up

Paul

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is actually surprisingly easy to take apart. Just loosen a few screws and the panels pop off. Of course, getting in there to access some of the stuff is a different matter...

My best bet might be looking through various owner's manuals to see if "speed pot wire" shows up anywhere, specifically for a MC-60 Motor Controller. That'll at least provide a clue what I'm looking for and what to do about it...

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found something interesting in one of the owner's manuals:

http://www.iconservice.com/pdf/DRTL11720.pdf

On page 20, the first troubleshooting item talks about resetting the circuit breaker. That looks to be the same fuse rocker switch thingie on mine, and from what I can tell of the diagram, it indicates mine is in the tripped position. Problem is, mine pushes in, but there's nothing to keep it in... Seems spring loaded with no sort of catch.

Wouldn't a tripped circuit keep the thing from powering up? Confused

Page 21 also has instructions for centering the belt on that particular model. I haven't looked yet to see if the same instructions apply to mine...

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it working!

I called up Pro-Form support today and got a friendly tech guy. Described the problem and he suggested a few things to try, none of which worked. He thought the console was blown, and unfortunately, those are no longer available. There were a few things I could try replacing, but with no guarantee that they would work. I asked if it was worth taking the console apart and seeing if any of the buttons weren't contacting the sensors or something. He didn't think that was very likely but that I could go ahead and try if I felt comfortable mucking around with that. So, I did...

Can't say I saw anything out of place, but when I switched around and reset the buttons, it was suddenly working again. But everything back together and it's as good as new. Laughing

I also figured out how to center the belt, so that's looking good, too.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by switching around and resetting the buttons?? Congrats on getting the unit back on line again. Until your health improves, its going to be a way of getting in a mile or two or even walking.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What do you mean by switching around and resetting the buttons??

Switching as in taking them out, inspecting the contact and flex points points for any problems, and switching the positions of the two main buttons. They're identical, so I figured what the heck, might as well try flip flopping them. Resetting as in re-setting, i.e. setting back into place and fastening them back down. Nothing overly technical, just a lucky guess.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: