Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Hip Injury

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2000 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a painful hip injury. I've had this thing for maybe a month or so. I went to some doctors and they said it was a muscle in my hip. This thing hurts like crazy. I really need to start getting ready for XC. Anyone know what to do for this?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2000 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine there could be a lot of injuries to the hip area. The only one I am familiar with if the hip flexor. A stretch that works well is called the froggy stretch. Get on elbows and knees, then try to touch your chest to the ground while pushing your knees outward. It's not an easy one, either flexibility wise or on your ego if other people are around. Wink

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2000 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive had trouble with my hip before in the IT band which normally affects runners at there knee but can effect hips-I just iced it and did a streatch where I cross my affected legs hip over my other leg place my hand on the wall and lean hip towards the wall and head away from the wall but there are lots of other things it could be check out the american running association injures section at http://www.americanrunnig.org they fully describe alot of hip(among other) injuries-and suggest when to run through the pain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2000 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying the ITBand stretch and it doesn't help, The pain is up near my hipbone, it seems to be the muscle in there. The Doctor said it was inflamed or something, any stretches for that part of the hip?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2000 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Froggy stretch! Wink It's the only one I know of that really isolates that area.

Another one that might help is this: place one leg forward and do a lunge, touching your back knee to the ground and keeping your front knee straight over your foot. Put your hands on your hips, straighten up your torso, and push your hips forward gently. Hold that about 30 seconds, then do the other leg.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
cdmclean
Lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2000 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an inch to an inch and one-half below the hip bone is the place where all of the nerves in the leg flow from the spinal cord.

The nerve at the depression in the hip is the sciatic nerve. Any imbalance in the musculature of the quadraceps, hip flexors, hamstrings or gluteous max's can result in improper alignment in the bones of the hip sockett.

Bones grinding on nerves REALLY HURTS!!!

See a chiropractic doctor, not an M.D. The chiropractor should be able to: adjust the lower vertabrae (which are likely out of alignment as well due to compensation), adjust the hip, recommend a course of stretches, and recommend a course of exercises to correct the imbalance.

The problem will not likely go away until the course of exercises correct the imbalance (likely 3 or more months).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: