Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
calvin smith WR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superhoops

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 1:26 am    Post subject: calvin smith WR Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me if calvin smith was the first athlete to run the 100m in under 10 seconds. I think he was, but would like to know to settle an argument.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but I can't help you win that argument ... I am assuming you are talking about automatic timing ... The first auto timed legal race under 10.00 was Jim Hines at Mexico City in 1968 ... He ran 9.95 which stood as the WR until Calvin Smith broke it in 1983 at Colorado Springs in what used to be the US Olympic Festival ...

Now if the other person wants to be tricky you can look at the first windy sub 10.00 which was Bob Hayes in his semi at the 1964 Olympics in Tokyo when he ran 9.91 ...

Hope that helps ..

Conway
Justin
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Questions like "who first ran under 10" should be easy but they are not.

For example, the first wind-legal 9.9 WRs were run in the 1968 US OT (Hines 9.9, SMith 9.9, Greene 9.9) but the unofficial auto-timing showed 10.03, 10.14 (!) and 10.10 respoectively.

Bob Hayes ran a wind-assisted 9.9 hand time in 1963, the first time anyone won a 100m race in under 10.0.

In 1964 Hayes ran 9.91w in the sf of the OG, the first ever sub-10.00 auto-time (at sea level or altitude).

Hines' 9.95 was the first wind-legal auto-timed sub 10.00. The first time this was done at sea level was in 1983, when Carl Lewis (and later that year Calvin Smith) ran 9.97.

Justin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: