Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Mid-Distance Depot
Best 800m ever?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 1999 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following is excerpted (sp?) from a t-and-f post on yesterday's Brussels meet:

Kipketer won it, by a few meters, in a time of 1.42.27, #9 on the all time performance list. Best time of the 1999 season.

Second, in a photofinish: Sepeng. 1.42.69, New South-African record.

Third, Kimutai. Also 1.42.69 (time in question), Personal Best. Fastest time for #3 spot ever.

Fourth: Andre Bucher, in 1.42.92. New Swiss record. PB by more than a second. Second time in history only that four men in one race go sub 1.43 (other case was Atlanta '96).

Fifth: Djabir-Said-Guerni. 1.43.09. New Algerian record. Fourth PB of this guy within 10 days. He has now improved by over 2.5 seconds within that same period.

Sixth: Wiliam Chirchir: 1.43.33. PB by almost a second.

Seventh: Nils Schumann, 1.44.47. PB by almost half a second.

Eighth: Longo, 1.44.59.

Ninth: Everett: 1.45.12.

...Might have to keep an eye on Djabir-Said-Guerni!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Frank Sellors
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 1999 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why hasn't Kipketer had a go at the 1000m record ?
Also, he must have great potential over 1500m.
Is he making so much money at 800 that he has no desire to test himself at other distances.
By the way, all the Grand Prix 1 and 11 meetings are given great coverage on tv. here in Europe. Do you get to see these meets on US tv?

Frank
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 1999 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One would think he could do quite well at the 1000m. I don't know if he's ever given the 1500m much thought or effort, but I recall his pr being surprisingly slow -- 3:47 or something?

In all fairness to Kipketer, the past two seasons have been quite a test, given his health. He sounded relieved just to finish the season undefeated.

TV coverage? What's that?! Grand Prix coverage in the US has disappeared to the point that it's barely worth the effort to futilely check the listings. I take it you watch Eurosport?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Frank Sellors
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 1999 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Eurosport, a few German stations, and the BBC have a good athletics commentary team including Steve Cram and Roger Black.

Frank

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2000 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kipketer's 800m WR of 1:41.11 does seem to make one think that he could grab the 1000m WR of 2:11.96. I also wish that more TV coverage was given to track and field. Even the TV allotment for distance races in the Olympics is small.
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2000 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch out, we have a Freshmen guy who can run a 2:00 800! This kid is a savage. He is pretty good at distance, he ran a 4:47 1600.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2000 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it you mean a freshman in high school? That would be quite solid, although I'm not sure off hand how it stacks up nationally.

Dan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2000 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freshman at 2:00 is fair, but speed is a dime-a-dozen. 4:47 isn't that great at all...especially nationally. Not only that, but what does that have to do with Wilson Kipketer? Kipketer probably ran a 1:50 or less as a freshman in high school, which is WAY faster than a 2:00. Sorry, I lose my net-iquette sometimes. The fact is, it takes luck, smarts, hard training, and a REAL killer instinct to be national class. Oh...most importantly, it takes talent.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2000 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries, you're well within the bounds of reasonable netiquette (anonymous posting aside). Smile

I don't know how Kipketer's times progressed -- most Kenyans seem to run exceptionally fast at a supposedly young age -- but he was not regarded as one of the fastest among his classmates. His teacher/coach has said other Kenyans were faster, but they could not progress to the same level without the specialized training Kipketer received after moving to Denmark.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: