Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Cross Cxountry Training Forum

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2000 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to make aforum where we can discuss how to train for next cross country season. I am a sophomore in HS, and I dont know what to do yet. Any suggestions?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2000 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you been given any direction from your coach? Have you run XC before? If so, what have you done previously and how well did it work?

These are all questions that are quite significant in what you should do to prepare for the fall.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2000 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My coach said he wants be do 50 miles a week. But I was planning on doing 60 miles a week. And also, he said not to do any speedwork, jsut to get a good distance base. Wouldnt doing 60 miles a week be better?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2000 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael,

I'm guessing your race distance is 5k? I ran about 50 miles a week for 8k training, but I felt like I was at the lower end for what a cross country runner can get by on. The proper mixture of mileage and speedwork is very much up to the individual. I don't believe there is ever a time to drop speedwork in favor of base building. To do that is like admitting that you can't have both speed and endurance. How then do you explain the world record for 10k being 63 seconds per lap for 25 laps?!

Sorry for that digression... My feeling is that you should find a level that you can build a good base of mileage without neglecting strides and the occasional uptempo running. There is absolutely no reason why you can't do strides after a ten mile run. Keep the leg speed up, and the endurance will help you immensely.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2000 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I mean by speedwork is doing something like 400 or 800 meter reapeats. And yes the races will be 5K.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2000 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said it on many occasions -- anything over 200m is not speedwork. Anyone who says otherwise probably thinks that sprinters don't train hard... 400's and 800's are strength building pace work, which really is not very different from long runs for a distance runner. The key is keeping the rest periods fairly short to emphasize the endurance aspect.

Dan
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2000 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, well what I meant by speedwork was doing interval training. I have a question. Is it beneficial to do interval training/strength builing work over the summer? My coach said only to run 50 miles a week. But, at the Alumni Meet in Late August I want to be a step ahead of the team. Would doing strengh work maybe 2-3 weeks before the Alumni Meet be good or bad?

PS-Thanks for your help Dan.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2000 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend against preparing for the Alumni Meet at the expense of the regular season. If you peak too soon, no one will remember down the road how well you ran in August.

I see nothing wrong with regularly doing workouts at date or even goal pace, just adjusting the distance run at that pace to allow for the mileage you are training at and what time frame you are preparing for.

Dan
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2000 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dan, how often should I increase my mileage? For the last 2 weeks, I have run 35 miles, which is more miles a week then I have ever done. Already, I feel like Im faster than ever before, and I did Cross Country and Track. The most miles I have ever run in week is about 20. This week, I hve eaten very healthy, 2 sandwhiches, an applem a banana, grapes and pineapple and water for lunch, and I felt much better when I ran. My muscles didnt burn and I was running much faster and wasnt getting tired at all! Oh by the way I have 12 weeks until Cross Country Practice begins.s
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2000 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you haven't run more than 20 miles a week and you've put in 35 a week the last two? The general rule of thumb is not to increase your mileage more than 10% a week. However, I think this is less significant at low mileage. After all, at 20 miles a week, that would mean an increase of only 2 miles a week, which would hardly be noticeable. More important is how your body feels. It sounds like it is going well for you, but you want to be your best in cross country, not the middle of the summer. I would suggest backing the mileage back down to 25 for a week, maybe two, then start increasing again. Cycle the mileage every three to four weeks to allow the legs to rest and adapt to the higher workload.

Dan
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2000 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, that sounds like a plan. Perhaps next week I will run 25 miles, the next week do 35 miles, then do 40 the next week. In order to run less miles, would it be better to run less miles each day or to run less days in the week? I believe that running more days a week is better for you, plus I sleep better if I run.

I was also wondering, if I make it up to 60 miles a week, what would be better, running 12-8-12-8-12 mile weeks(and running those 12 and 8 miles in a single run, or doing two 6 mile runs each day? Maybe a sample week would be 2 6 mile runs one day, one 8 mile run the next day, and repeat that cycle) What do you think? You know more than I do.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2000 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always done best at six days a week. If I try to maintain running seven days a week, I break down after about a month. The one day off a week (often spent cross training) makes a huge difference for me. Some people go years without taking a day off, though.

Ideally, if your focus is increased mileage, you will also be getting in a long run a week. That's where your endurance will get the biggest benefit. For the long run, it's best to not break it up into two runs, but the other days aren't as important. If you want to get mileage up without sacrificing quality, a morning run can be a very good supplement to the afternoon workout.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: